In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The big kid has new toys

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by blacksmithden, Jun 26, 2018.

1. blacksmithden

blacksmithden

I'll be honest here. For the most part, I'm cutting softwood that is usually no more than 12" in diameter, and it's extreme overkill for that. I used it in the bush for the first time yesterday until the chain needed a sharpen. That was about 2/3 of a trailer load of wood. Then I grabbed my trusty old 445E and I was much happier with it given that it's a few pounds lighter. Once things dry up in the bush (it's been very wet here lately), and I can get to where I know there's some bigger birch, I'm sure I'll be glad to have the extra 6" of bar and 25cc's of engine. Regardless of what some people say about consumer grade saws verses pro saws, I've been beating on that 445 for almost 10 years now and the only maintenance it's ever required aside from chains was 1 spark plug.

2. blacksmithden

blacksmithden

Alright. This will likely be the last installment in this thread. I finished splitting and stacking this afternoon. The stacks with the black pipes on the end, and the partial stack are what I got. They're 5 ft high, 10 ft long, and the pieces are 18". I'm going to count the partial stack as about 1/3. All said and done, one trip at max weight came out to 175 cu ft of wood...or.....1.36 cords. Not as much as I was hoping for, but still around 3 times what I could carry in the pickup. Looks like I'll be making at least 2 more trips before winter. Cheers guys !

[​IMG]

Maina, SM Pedro, Chvymn99 and 9 others like this.
  3. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

I was thinking around 1 1/2 cord when I saw the pic of the load. And if its been wet there, the weight bears that out.
    But around a cord and a half home . Cut split and hauled is a Good days work. The size of your trailer with its sideboards makes it so it will hold enough loose wood to make it VERY worthwhile.
    I say , great job all around.