In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The big kid has new toys

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by blacksmithden, Jun 26, 2018.

1. blacksmithden

blacksmithden

I just picked up this trailer about a week ago from my buddy. 18 ft deck over with 2 3500lb axles. Those mounted boxes are coming off the front of it, and I'm putting removable 2-ish foot high sides all the way around.

I also picked up a used Speeco 15 ton splitter. The plan is to take the tank/axel/wheels and chuck them and mount the business parts right on the side of the deck along with a 10 gallon tank I picked up a while back. Then my splits are already on the deck and just need to be stacked. I live in a subdivision, so running a splitter all day won't get on the neighbors nerves. Also, the mess of chips and bark will be out in the bush, and not on my driveway. This should make getting nice size loads of wood a lot easier.

I also have an 11 hp Honda engine and a 20 gpm dual stage pump (2 pumps actually...they were on sale :) ). I haven't decided if I'm going to use the 6.5 hp engine and pump that's on the splitter now or the bigger one to get a faster cycle time. I'll have to do the math on what the ports in the cylinder can handle once I'm on my days off. More pictures to follow as it progresses. :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. 03fatboy

03fatboy

Good idea,kinda like a traveling wood processor.
    Adding to my watched treads to see how it turns out .

3. chris

chris

Ports on cylinder will be 1/2", same for valve, restriction areas are the fittings and the solid line if it uses that, hose will 1/2" also. speed is a function of how fast you can fill/empty cylinder. current pump out put is also 1/2" , Jamming more fluid through restricted areas increases friction which = heat build up. Most of the commercial box store type units , the fittings are only 3/8" internal along with that hard line.

4. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

That is going to be a nice setup. I’m looking forward to pics.

Horkn, Hammy, brenndatomu and 4 others like this.
  5. blacksmithden

blacksmithden

Yes. I know
    Yes. I do know a fair bit about hydraulic systems being a heavy equipment tech. I barely got to look at it after I picked it up....working 12 hour shifts right now. If the inlets are that small, Ill probably just leave it as is. Ive got another cylinder in the garage but its too long for this little guy. The one thing I did hit lucky...the absolute oal that I can split with it is 19.5" and my stove can handle a 20" log. I usually cut to 18". So.....if it wont fit in the splitter, it wont fit in the stove either. To me, that means when Im out with the young fella cutting, I dont have to worry about getting anything too long in the pile.

6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

So blacksmithden it appears you are back home for a while? Probably a bit warmer at home too!

Horkn, Hammy, bear 1998 and 3 others like this.
  7. blacksmithden

blacksmithden

For a few weeks anyway. It actually hit 26 degrees C up on the tundra last week and the bugs were just starting. I got to spend this week working in our shop here west of Edmonton due to the camp being overbooked. After tomorrow Im off for two weeks, and then supposedly back to the arctic.

BTW....the rumors are true. The skeeters up there are twice the size of the ones down here in civilization. One landed on the wall in the tool trailer on my last night shift. At first I didnt even think it was a mosquito. The boys must be having fun with them there this week. Im sure I'll get the bug reports when everyone hits town again.

8. Hammy

Hammy

That will be a great project. Please keep us updated.

9. blacksmithden

blacksmithden

It's coming together...slowly. I got rid of all the stuff that was mounted to the deck yesterday. Today, I took apart my splitter and got it mounted. $350 later at the hydraulic shop (just drove the whole thing over there and plumbed it right in the back lot) and that bit is looked after. The hoses that run from the front to the splitter have quick disconnects on them, and they're in the job box that the engine and hydraulic tank are mounted on. There's still enough room in there for chainsaws and gas cans. Tomorrow's project "was" going to be building the sides for it. Unfortunately, it's supposed to be storming all day. Sunday is supposed to be nice though. Here's a few pics. After years of just having that pickup, a chainsaw, and axes to go and get wood with, I can't wait to get this out in the bush.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maina, Dancan, Certified106 and 14 others like this.
  10. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Nice trailer, that will treat you right!

11. Hammy

Hammy

Looks like you got a lot accomplished on the first day. Nice work!

12. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Lookin' Good! This ought to make it a little easier on you. Especially with the motor that far away from the actual work.

Horkn, brenndatomu and Hammy like this.
  13. blacksmithden

blacksmithden

I hate trying to buy stuff in this town. I called the usual spots...we only have 2 of those...we only have 3 of those. Yeah...and I need 4 of one and 8 of the other. Whatever. So the panel attachment methods aren't going to be the same on both sides. I'll live with it. Between the thunder cells that went through here today, junior and I managed to get one side done. Hey...it's even sort of level(ish). LOL. Woodworking is not my strong suit and I'm fine with that. :) It's hammering down rain, mixed with hail as I type this. Hopefully the weather cooperates a little more tomorrow. Yes, that's a big bowl of fries destined for my deep fryer.I got the fries done, but it didn't hold off long enough to do the chicken wings. :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maina, Dancan, Chaz and 9 others like this.
  14. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

So , the splitter is mounted to the trailer deck ? How will that work with the sideboards on ? It looks like the splitter is at a great height and position for a guy standing on the ground and splitting onto the deck.

Maina, Chaz, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  15. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Looks to me like the sides lift right off in sections to access the splitter.

16. imwiley1

imwiley1

That will be a nice setup. What kind of wood do you usually process? Is the splitter close enough to the edge of the trailer so you won't have to lean in to place rounds/remove splits? Leaning in with some heavier rounds would give me a sore back in no time.

Maina, Horkn and brenndatomu like this.
  17. blacksmithden

blacksmithden

Have a look at the latches that connect the side panels. Unlock them, and lift out as many panels as you need to access the splitter. I'm going to build a box to go over top of it, so when the trailer is nearly full, we can put the box over it, and pile the rest of the load right on top of it. The height is perfect for me to manipulate pieces. I usually wind up getting standing dead spruce and lodgepole pine, but I'll take birch when I can get it. I did out the math, and with a box built over the splitter, I can get a hair over 2 1/2 cords in there if it's not stacked over the top. That'll be fine for dry spruce and pine, but if I'm cutting wet birch, I'll have to keep it to about 2/3 of the volume to keep from overloading the axles. I'm good for 7000lbs total. I'll go run the trailer over the scales empty before I go out the first time with it.

18. blacksmithden

blacksmithden

Alright. Aside from needing a hand full of bolts to attach the corner latches at the front and the center latch at the back...and some wood stain, the sides are done ! Yay ! It's supposed to storm here for the next 3 days, so I don't think I'll be getting much done on it. Time to get to tuning up the saws. I've got a buddy who's committed to coming with me to give me a hand cutting on the 5th, so no time to doddle. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, that missing stake on the left has been installed. :) I noticed that I left it out when I saw this picture. LOL.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maina, Dancan, Midwinter and 11 others like this.
  19. LinkedXJ

LinkedXJ

heck yea!

Another guy who spent way too much time building sides for his trailer out of wood that isnt treated.
    Glad im not the only dog. lol!

20. Hammy

Hammy

Looks great! Time to fill it up:)

Maina, Chaz and brenndatomu like this.