In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The adventures of a new ope service writer

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by bocefus78, Apr 5, 2018.

1. ironpony

ironpony

vinyl siding a carbide blade backwards is standard.

2. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I could help her with some things I experienced, public city swimming pools from 1982-1990, then retail 1990-1996. Then there was training for my technical sales, :hair:, it's true that certain vertical markets have certain characteristics and that retail consumers can be a handful. Interesting customers of all forms in all areas. Most are a lot of fun:)

Eric VW, leoht, TurboDiesel and 6 others like this.
  3. Maina

Maina

In a former life I ran an automotive repair shop with 55 employees. Talk about a circus. One I’d rather forget actually lol.

Eric VW, leoht, VOLKEVIN and 9 others like this.
  4. blacktail

blacktail

We need contact info for this dealer so we can all call and request that you work more hours. More stories, please.

bobdog2o02, Eric VW, leoht and 11 others like this.
  5. bocefus78

bocefus78

Lol. More stories will come....trust me. The homeowners haven't got to full on spring mode yet. Hell, it's still snowing here. Mainly just the retired guys and the commercial guys so far. By next weekend, the homeowners will be in full on panic mode as to why their gear isn't running.

Eric VW, leoht, Horkn and 11 others like this.
  6. chris

chris

and then the fun begins

Eric VW, leoht, Horkn and 5 others like this.
  7. bocefus78

bocefus78

Old guy today. Came in last August for service. Tire plugged and bead sealed then. Comes in today upset that he had to air up his tire 6 months later. :zip:

Does not bring wheel tire combo with him.
    Told him we need to see it to address the situation. It should show up tomorrow. On the mower. :faint:

Ok. Lunch is over. Back at it.

Hammy, Midwinter, Eric VW and 10 others like this.
  8. bocefus78

bocefus78

Today. Was. Semi. Crazy. Couldn't focus on anything. Constant barrage of walk in and phone in customers. Only got 5 warranty claims filed. I spent a long time on a mower sale to a residential customer. Wasn't hired for sales, but all the sales guys were busy. Pretty damm sure i moved a $7k used ferris for that hour of my time. I'll know tomorrow.

Highlight of the day was:

Fire department ladder rolled in. Out come the rescue saws. I'm pretty sure I knocked over an old lady to get my hands on them as they walked in...and Im not on commission Lol. Our competition made them some chains. Too long. 2 links long. 404 .063 carbide tipped. 62 dl long. 64 as they came in. Not a shelf item. I could go on, but I wont. We fixed em.

What I found more interesting than anything is that they are getting the same lifespan from carbide cutters as a normal full chisel. That and the depth gauge they use on this contraption. It is billet aluminum or an alloy, and goes in this slot.

20180410_124656.jpg

Here's their carbide chain

20180410_123539.jpg

Just another day in the life of a service writer I guess. It's alot better than shovels and wheelbarrows is all I know.

Hammy, Midwinter, Eric VW and 17 others like this.
  9. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

yes!
    Then there are the employees!:hair:

Mrs. TD had 75.
    Her one store was in a college town. One day she told an employee that a belt was part of her uniform (required by the corp)...the girl didn't show up for work the next day...or the next day...or the next day...just didn't come back...:picard:
    probably got hired on the spot at her next job

bobdog2o02, Eric VW, leoht and 10 others like this.
  10. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

We used to stand clear of the front doors when March 20th came around. Hold the stopwatch, wait for it..... and..... GO!:bug: :rootintootin::tractor: :emptywallet: :heidi::quad::binoculars:

Hammy, Eric VW, leoht and 13 others like this.
  11. bocefus78

bocefus78

Yep....its THAT 2 weeks here.

Eric VW, leoht, wildwest and 9 others like this.
  12. chris

chris

I do not recommend running carbide tip saws backward- much too easy to start knocking off the carbide tips and considering some of the saws out there definitely a hazard.

wildwest, brenndatomu, Maina and 3 others like this.
  13. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

:eek:, Never happened to me, here that is standard for vinyl siding applications. Maybe a different type of blade?

14. Maina

Maina

I’ve been told that same thing about running carbide blades backwards, and to use a backwards steel blade on vinyl and aluminum siding. I worked for a carpenter nights and weekends all through high school and he used steel.

15. chris

chris

yes, steel , as i mentioned before. Carbide tips are somewhat brittle as such rely on the steel pocket that they are brazed into for resistance to fracture. Being brazed in running backwards can litterly rip the teeth right out of the pocket = high speed missile

wildwest, Maina, brenndatomu and 2 others like this.
  16. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Hey you have not even scratched the surface yet I have had a saw shop for 30 years and I could write a book I give a award away called the idiot of the year [A free Chain] to the person who does the dumbest thing and I have never not gave it away
    From chains on backwards to a customer that brought a push mower in because it would run but not cut,you guessed it he lost the blade!!!!! so sit down and enjoy because the gene pool needs a lot of chlorine to get rid of the stupid gene
    and remember the old timers outnumber the young people cutting wood today myself included 20 plus cord a year

gregbesia, Hammy, Midwinter and 18 others like this.
  17. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Hammy, Eric VW, leoht and 5 others like this.
  18. blacktail

blacktail

I thought of this thread today when I drove by a guy with the bar of his Poulan Pro jammed into the ground cutting tree roots.

Hammy, Midwinter, Eric VW and 13 others like this.
  19. bocefus78

bocefus78

Today's highlights include selling chains to people who don't know what length bar they have, and selling a landscape supervisor a ms291 by informing him that he's bought 3 in the past 2 years....this makes a 4th and it's about time for number three to break by my records lol. Seems his guys just destroy them and they quickly become not worth fixing. I

The trophy winner for today however was the guy who ran over his commercial exmark walk behind caster wheel assembly after it fell off. Thing was deeeeeestroyed. He could not be convinced that the 1/4 steel wheel assembly he mangled did any damage to his blades :loco: :crazy::headbang: Didn't have the heart to take pics of his carnage in front of him. Sold him a caster assembly and off he went :rofl: :lol:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    Hammy, Midwinter, Eric VW and 14 others like this.
  20. fishingpol

fishingpol

My neighbor ran his chain backwards for a bit on some elm. That saw was smoking and screaming like a banshee. He had a good lean on it.

Hammy, Midwinter, Eric VW and 13 others like this.