In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The adventures of a new ope service writer

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by bocefus78, Apr 5, 2018.

1. bushpilot

bushpilot

I had one do that, it was the float in the carb. The float allowed fuel to flow continuously, which spilled into the crankcase via the induction and cylinder (while not running). When started, it smoked and soaked the air filter and made a general mess.

Maina, wildwest, Eric VW and 2 others like this.
  2. Horkn

Horkn

I don't because he was given less than what he was asking, and I believe he put his research in and knew what he was worth before interviewing.

It's busy season now. He's also selling things. Being a good salesman also entails salesmanship. Selling yourself the raise to your boss is something he should appreciate.

Maina, wildwest, eatonpcat and 7 others like this.
  3. Horkn

Horkn

I know that Indiana has a super low unemployment rate. I buy components from a couple of businesses in Indiana and have candid talks with the owners/ presidents of these companies. The unemployment rate is like 1.5-2% there. When you get to that level, most of the unemployed, are unemployable. So it becomes a bad situation for employers to be able to retain good employees.

Many shops in Indiana can't get qualified people to apply, or stay. The RV industry pays about twice what these shops pay.

Maina, wildwest, eatonpcat and 7 others like this.
  4. bocefus78

bocefus78

This is so true here. Daily I'm asked by various companies if I know where any good help is. The H2B workers didn't come this year, so they are stuck picking from the leftovers that even bother trying to fill out apps. Most would rather have their .gov freebies than work. :zip:

And yes, I asked less than what they offered on the online job post. I wanted the job, and came in low. They still came in under what I asked. I shouldve held to my ask, but wanting the job, I took their offer.

I'll get over it. Gonna wait at least another 30 days to mention anything I've decided. By then, the busy season will be winding down and he will have a good gauge of how I did during the busiest time of year.

I'll get back to posting the funnies soon, promise. Working 6 days a week, mowing a dozen yards after that, and maintaining 2 homes has me too busy to even hardly post.

papadave, Loon, Hammy and 18 others like this.
  5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Stay busy Chris! It's better than the alternative for sure. And I think you've made a good decision and in the long run it may pay more than if you did not wait.

Hammy, Maina, wildwest and 5 others like this.
  6. chris

chris

Better to be happy at the 9-5? then dreading another day at some other position.

Hammy, Maina, wildwest and 9 others like this.
  7. RCBS

RCBS

Yep. One can be miserable at any given number of jobs. Finding one that you can enjoy/tolerate, is great.

Hammy, Maina, wildwest and 7 others like this.
  8. basod

basod

On the raise front a month is a bit early.
    If you think about sans OT making a buck less an hour for the next 5 months is $800 out of your pocket.
    I'd ask the owner if you can schedule a performance review at 3 and 6 month intervals to get his feedback on where you can improve.
    If it's all glowing reviews then ask for more than your initial offering.

Hammy, Maina, bushpilot and 7 others like this.
  9. bocefus78

bocefus78

Curious what did Mr dealer say when you gave him that part number I gave you Midwinter

papadave, Hammy, Maina and 9 others like this.
  10. Midwinter

Midwinter

He looked it up and said hmm, an air filter sheild??? then pulled up the schematic and sure enough it was the filter. 4$ a pop, ordered 6, ETA of a week and a half. I didn't bust his chops about getting the wrong ones the last time, I just mentioned it, and left it at that.

papadave, Hammy, Maina and 6 others like this.
  11. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I hope they allowed to you to return the wrong ones for full credit.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

papadave, Hammy, Maina and 7 others like this.
  12. Midwinter

Midwinter

I couldn't find the wrong ones before I left the house, my husband had them squirrelled away. I'm not too confrontational, but I think I made my point by coming in with the part number.

papadave, Hammy, Maina and 8 others like this.
  13. chris

chris

Translation from one language to another sometimes leaves a lot to be desired. In a sense it is a shield against contaminants.

Hammy, Maina, wildwest and 4 others like this.
  14. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Well..if you aren't going to return them, bring them to the gtg. Maybe someone there can use them. I'm doing that with some new chains that don't fit my saws.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

Hammy, Maina, wildwest and 6 others like this.
  15. bocefus78

bocefus78

Had my first request yesterday to become a granberg mill dealer. From a retired suburban homeowner. In the city, your customer base is wonky. You never know who's gonna buy what.

Hammy, Maina, RCBS and 8 others like this.
  16. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

OMG Horkn :hair: Long story short, convo with WWW tonight. IT WAS chainsaw gas ( 2 stroke) :picard: Anyway she made it town just fine and filled up w unleaded. Running fine since then. Were you serious or joking about a little two stroke won't hurt?

Hammy, leoht, Maina and 4 others like this.
  17. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

Two stroke in a car or other 4 stroke wont hurt in small doses, doesn't go the other way around though.

papadave, Hammy, leoht and 6 others like this.
  18. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Phew! Thanks. Yes, it was max 1.5 gallons in a 30 gallon tank. She has an 88' K5.

Hammy, leoht, Maina and 3 others like this.
  19. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

No harm

leoht, Maina, Horkn and 4 others like this.
  20. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

Which dealership?

I bought my saw from Nashua Outdoor, less than thrilled with them. Saw came with the chain on backwards...no biggie. Had to bring it in for warranty repair and it sat for two weeks before I called and lit a fire under their azz.

Hammy, leoht, brenndatomu and 4 others like this.