In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The adventures of a new ope service writer

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by bocefus78, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

You've proven your worth. Time to get paid

2. Horkn

Horkn

I'd say you've more than proven that you deserve it. Remember that you accepted the under asking price, at the onset.

You took their offer on good faith, and now you've proven that you're worth even more.

It's the time to hit him now. I'd use the example of you taking the under your asking rate as a sign of good faith and that you understood that you'd have to prove yourself due to previous employee's underperformances.

Well, you are at that point now.

Speaking of which, my company said they have our raises by the end of the first quarter. Well.... They are a couple weeks past due.....

From one over performing employee to another, good luck. You deserve it:handshake:

papadave, Maina, VOLKEVIN and 13 others like this.
  3. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

30 days is more than enough to prove yourself, in today's economy, you need to get paid. They will pay, a rookie coming early, leaving late and good with customers, no brainer.

papadave, Maina, eatonpcat and 13 others like this.
  4. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

5. Chaz

Chaz

Yep.. ^^ what they said ^^.

He has acknowledged your worth, you took less than your entry price, you've been a dependable employee.

Worst (thing for him) he can do is say no, and then you may obviously have to consider your long term options under his employ.

Balls in your court.:yes:

Maina, eatonpcat, Eric VW and 9 others like this.
  6. bocefus78

bocefus78

Sounds like it's official. I need and deserve a raise to at least my fair ask at interview time. Thanks for the input folks.

Horkn, if I could like that twice, I would. Good luck to you as well.

7. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:rofl: :lol:
    Yep, we all either knew or didn't even see an innocent typo:)

papadave, Maina, Eric VW and 6 others like this.
  8. Horkn

Horkn

Well for us, the Pres said in front of us all at a company meeting that we'd get a bonus, and a raise. The bonus happened, as well as an unexpected performance raise (really minor but it all adds up), just not the raises we were expecting, which my supervisor said was separate from that performance raise, and still happening.

I negotiate prices every day for things I buy at work. I just treat myself like a commodity that needs to go for market price;)

papadave, Maina, eatonpcat and 13 others like this.
  9. Midwinter

Midwinter

bocefus78, if it's not too much trouble, would you be able to find a part number for an air filter for a Stihl MS180? We bought 3, and it seems like crud is getting into the air entry port to the carburetor.
    This is the original filter that came with the saw:
    IMG_20180513_6708.jpg
    And this is what we were sold as a replacement: IMG_20180513_54870.jpg
    They look different, hmm....
    Thanks a bunch!

Maina, eatonpcat, Eric VW and 4 others like this.
  10. Will C

Will C

As far as a raise, you have something going for you-your sales numbers are a fact-you are moving product by using your skill set. Point that out when you negotiate.
    There are many benefits working in the public sector as I do, but the unfortunate part is your work ethic and performance doesn't count for much. I could list my accomplishments and it doesn't mean a thing when it comes to raises and contracts.

Maina, eatonpcat, Eric VW and 7 others like this.
  11. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

bocefus78 I do not feel it is wrong to ask for a raise if you really feel you deserve it but first make sure you have your ducks in a row. Just stating that you have proved yourself or that you've made many sales, etc, is not enough. How many sales have you made, or better yet, how many dollars in sales have you produced? Have you missed any time? Have you worked longer hours than expected? How have you treated all the customers? Any complaints yet?

As an employer, it usually is not enough to just say you've increased sales or produced much; you have to be specific if you want specific things. The most important thing to the employer is that you are making him money, and you need to show him that. I put this into the category of sales; that is, it is never enough to tell a customer some great selling point. Yes, tell him, but now tell him what that actually means to him. Like this mower will cut 60"...which means you will spend less time mowing your lawn (and perhaps more time for the golf course or something like that). This mower will use much less gas than your present mower, which means you don't spend as much at the gas station and you know the price of gas keeps going up. With this saw you can cut larger logs which means you will be able to put up your winter's supply of wood faster and that means more play time for you. These are just some examples. Remember those two little words, "which means". Even if it is obvious, those two words can mean many more sales to you. Make them a habit.

Back to the raise. As an employer, I always felt that 30 days was much too early for a raise or at least much of a raise. There was an exception a couple times though.

Good luck.

papadave, Maina, eatonpcat and 11 others like this.
  12. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

When is your first employment review? I'd probably wait for that...and if they are fair people, and you are still doing a bang up job like that, they will probably offer a raise without your asking for it. If not, and the review was positive, then that's a good time to bring up that $1 per hour more you asked for at the beginning...my 2 cents in the matter...

Maina, eatonpcat, TurboDiesel and 7 others like this.
  13. Hammy

Hammy

I agree that 30 days is a bit early to ask for raise. I would wait 6 months and go in with facts. Just my opinion.

Maina, eatonpcat, TurboDiesel and 6 others like this.
  14. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I lean towards too soon like the previous 3 posts. Longer track record first :)

Maina, Camber, TurboDiesel and 6 others like this.
  15. bocefus78

bocefus78

papadave, Maina, wildwest and 8 others like this.
  16. Midwinter

Midwinter

Wow, thanks! Looks like they sold us the wrong filters. Had to wait forever for them to come in, too. Again, thanks a bunch!

Maina, wildwest, eatonpcat and 6 others like this.
  17. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

First there is this
    I do not know how hard it is to find good employees in Indiana. I work with many small business owners. They will tell you privately, rather pay good employee more than lose half a season trying to find another one.

papadave, Maina, wildwest and 9 others like this.
  18. Jon_E

Jon_E

Unfortunately, I work in a business where bonuses are as rare as winning the lottery, and raises are dictated by legislation and a union contract. Some deserve much more, others deserve to get fired (and then shot). Neither is easily achieved.

papadave, Camber, Maina and 10 others like this.
  19. chris

chris

back to service work- had customer show up with a mower today ( I do not work on small engines as a rule) Brother of a good friend that passed a bit ago. so he gives the desciption- mower smoking, air filter full of oil- yep way over filled on the oil- simple fix -well partly, oil drain under mower ,as is common now, showed him where it was. Comment from him was he would take it small eng. shop- couldn't see that happening ( that would be so over charged around here ) so grabbed oil pan and just flipped mower over and pour excess out fill tube- fired it up , problem solved. There is a segment of society that are not adept at mechanical items he is one. (Government job)

papadave, PA Dan, Maina and 12 others like this.
  20. haveissues

haveissues

I think it is a bit early to ask for a raise unless you are drastically underpaid but I will say this-I don't know what the economy is like around your area but around here just about all of my clients are having a really hard time finding help. They universally say the people looking for a job now are not hirable.

Maina, Camber, wildwest and 7 others like this.