In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Tell us, here, about your wood pellet purchases over 2022 to 2023

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by Orson_Yancey, Jun 2, 2022.

1. bogieb

bogieb

HD around here are only at "check store for availability" when I look online. Usually they show pellets in stock this time of year. Guessing they weren't doing any sales.

jtakeman and ttdberg like this.
  2. Tullytown

Tullytown

that's interesting..
    lot of fines in my matra bags.. always has been.

bogieb likes this.
  3. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

That typically means they are out of stock.

slvrblkk, will711 and jtakeman like this.
  4. bogieb

bogieb

I guess I didn't give the whole story - it says Buy in Store, check store for availability. That wording usually means they have so few left (or they are going so fast) that they won't guarantee you will get any. Also, they won't deliver and show 4 tons as the limit you can buy.

When they know something is out of stock at a store, it directly states store pickup not available.

Orson_Yancey, ttdberg and jtakeman like this.
  5. will711

will711

The vegetable oil is used to lubricate the dye that the dust is pushed thru , to make the pellets listed on the GS bags as < 1% .

Dpopps, slvrblkk, BHags and 5 others like this.
  6. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

Heating starts this week in the northeast. Will be real interesting to see how the next few weeks go, with low to no inventory, the procrastinators looking to stock up, etc.

BHags, bogieb, ttdberg and 2 others like this.
  7. bogieb

bogieb

Woke up at midnight and immediately thought of getting more pellets now that I have emptied two pallets in the garage by moving them into the basement. Not sure why that thought since I have more than enough to get me thru the year with leftovers for next. But, hmmm, now thinking another ton couldn't hurt it TSC still has MWPs.

8. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

My brother heats almost exclusively with pellets, and I keep him updated on the prices and supply situation. Was talking over weekend about the latest, and how this week will be way below normal over large part of country. He grabbed a half ton trom TSC with his truck last night, just because.

Pellets will be like Toilet paper in 2020. If you see em, grab em.

9. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

B what is your local TSC store charging for them now? Mine is at $5.89/bag or $284.5/pallet after $10 ton discount. I think that price is marked down to compete with the competitor across the street. It looks like the "regular" price these days is $6.29/bag, so it's a fine discount. I also noticed where they now show how many bags they have in stock like the other stores (Lowes for example). Looks like this store has just over 100 tons. I bet that will be dramatically depleted this time next week, on account of the cold weather has arrived

10. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

Looking at this weekend's temperature , possibly high of 38 on Saturday Imagine if we had some snow on the ground?! Looks sub freezing for the high country of the northeast. Crazy for before Thanksgiving :loco: :crazy:

Sirchopsalot likes this.
  11. bogieb

bogieb

Website shows $305/ton for the local TSC. That is with the normal $0.20 / bag discount for buying bulk. The local "competition" is Aubuchon's - screenshot taken a couple of minutes ago says it all.

Aubuchons wood pellet prices 11-15-22.jpg

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
    jtakeman and Rich250 like this.
  12. Rich250

Rich250

Glad I bought early with these prices :makeitrain"

bogieb, Sirchopsalot and jtakeman like this.
  13. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

Absolutely. Pre bought in May, feel like I won a decent scratch off ticket in savings.

14. bogieb

bogieb

Me too. I was really happy when I bought the GS on sale - thought I was saving $50-75/ton (what I would have used to pay for TSC). But at today's prices, I'm ecstatic at taking that chance. Looks like I saved about $150/ton. Sure, GS aren't my faves, and they are more ashy than what I normally run, but I'm okay with that.

15. Birddog91

Birddog91

Got my Matras from Robbins, so far disappointed with the dirty glass, I have adjusted damper etc. DId a deep clean, and burned a couple older bags from last year, no glass issue. Heat is good but cannot see flame much. I am adjusting damper like crazy, so I hope it will get better.

BHags, bogieb and PelletHound like this.
  16. Tullytown

Tullytown

for what it's worth, the matra are awfully close to doug firs in Btu output. 8800 plus..
    been burning them quite few years in Harman P61A.. only tick is lot's of fines in the bags but the harmy burns them up..

17. corncob

corncob

My 6039's burn everything and anything including my left over popcorn and the shavings from my pencil sharpener....

Won't be buying pellets this year as I have tons of them in the barn (tons of corn as well) but next year I will, just like all of you will, but at what cost?

Considering how much conventional power (electricity, propane and HHO) is going up, they are still a pretty good bargain.

Birddog91 likes this.
  18. corncob

corncob

Dirty glass is an easy fix. Open the door (stove running or not) and take a cheap natural bristle paint brush (I use the Harbor Freight cheap chip brushes) and brush the glass. Takes about 30 seconds tops.

Me, I don't much care about seeing the flame, I'm more concerned about feeling the heat.

Get a kick out of the term 'deep clean' I do that every time I clean mine which is whenever I empty the ash pan.

Of course that term means different things to different people.

Birddog91 likes this.
  19. Birddog91

Birddog91

Yeah I used to do only Blazers, Vermonts. Did hardwood past couple years as I worked at a store that gave us a 20% discount on pellets. The heat is top notch for sure, guess like Corncob said I can deal with the black soot. :)

corncob likes this.
  20. corncob

corncob

I roast them as well.