In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Tell us, here, about your wood pellet purchases over 2022 to 2023

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by Orson_Yancey, Jun 2, 2022.

1. Orson_Yancey

Orson_Yancey

Many folks have been posting their wood pellet purchases in the forum "Pellet Heads, What's
    Up Today". How about sharing all of that information in this thread?

Right now, in New England, with heating oil just under $6.00/gal, we will likely see many people
    switching over to wood pellets. People are already telling of prices of wood pellets going
    higher. Some dealers are predicting that the prices of wood pellets will go way up. Imagine that
    if heating oil reaches $7.00 to $8.00/gal over the winter, that wood pellets could conceivably
    reach $700 to $800/ton. I hope not. I expect starting about August, there will be a big run on
    wood pellets. So, where are you finding wood pellets and at what price?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
  2. PelletHound

PelletHound

Cash Larue, Russell, M2theB and 4 others like this.
  3. bogieb

bogieb

I got 6 tons of GS delivered from HD in March when they had their pellet blow out. Paid $177.00/ton (normally $270/ton) plus $79 for delivery (30 miles away). for a total of 1,140. GS isn't my favorite as they are more ashy than my go-to TSC MWP pellets, but for that price, I couldn't pass them up.

Still have 2 tons in the basement plus the 6 tons in the garage. In the past I've used 4.5 to 6 tons per year. But I had a mini split installed last summer and found using it for spring and fall is more convenient and (surprisingly) on par cost-wise to the pellet stoves (figuring at $5.50/bag). Plus I'm having solar put in so can off-set the cost of electric going up. The cellar dweller is the only heat in the basement and the P43 on the main floor is still better during the continuously cold months.

So. that's my long way of saying that the 8 tons I have on hand should get me thru 2 winters. I'll still keep my eyes open for deals on CL & Marketplace though.

Luneyburg, Cash Larue, M2theB and 4 others like this.
  4. Orson_Yancey

Orson_Yancey

Pellets at Home Depot in NH, recently increased by $30/ton to a price of $300/ton.
    For a purchase of 4 or more tons, the bulk price is $270/ton.

5. Earl764

Earl764

Very likely calling in an order on tons of mothra's on Monday. Between the cost and delivery fee, probably $1500ish.

6. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

Good to hear folks are getting on the stick with pellet purchases. From the snoofing around online I've done, prices are only likely to rise on many things. Having extra now is a good thing.
    (I'll keep an eye on this thread, I have a dear friend who is a pellet head).
    Sirchopsalot

7. Tullytown

Tullytown

Cash Larue likes this.
  8. Tullytown

Tullytown

Think u meant Matras. Exceptional btu. Close to 9K. My favorites.

Attached Files:

Cash Larue and Birddog91 like this.
  9. Birddog91

Birddog91

Maybe he was watching some godzilla movies?

10. PelletHound

PelletHound

We call them Mothra's. Mosura_trailer_-_Mothra_flying-192229021.png

Cash Larue, ttdberg, billb3 and 3 others like this.
  11. BHags

BHags

Just ordered my Moths from Robbins in Oxford Ma. $350/ton, $55 delivery charge,(2 tons), $10 fuel charge. $765. Between our new splits, and the moths, I don't think I'll be seeing the oilman this year.

12. scajjr2

scajjr2

Got 3 tons of Vermont coming from East Coast in Hampstead, delivery July 6 or 7. $360/ton, $74 delivery.

sam

13. corncob

corncob

4 tons in the barn and I need to go pick up an additional 5 tons of free corn when I get the time. Propane bottles are all at 85%. Topped them off at $1.99 a gallon last month.

bogieb, Orson_Yancey and Sirchopsalot like this.
  14. corncob

corncob

Was kind of pleasantly surprised that propane isn't keeping pace with gas and diesel in as much as it's cracked from crude as well. I have a feeling that it will spike up as well as colder weather approaches. Gonna be a lot of cold folks this winter I suspect. The ultimate hard choice will be, stay warm or freeze your butt off because you cannot afford the cost of heating fuel.

I also see that credit card debt is climbing sharply as people are charging more and more because they lack the funds to pay for goods and services. Problem with that is, the only entities that get rich are the credit card companies because those people are unable to pay the outstanding balances at the end of the month and credit card interest rates are highway robbery. Never paid a finance charge. I pay off my outstanding balance monthly.

bogieb and Orson_Yancey like this.
  15. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

When HHO was spendy, we turned the furnace down to 55 (or less).
    We used a couple different kerosene heaters to space heat a room or two.
    We could easily go through a couple gallons a day, but one heater would keep critical infrastructure warm, and the other the bedrooms warm.
    We kept and had a comfortable main room to be in, and so didn't heat the whole house to 'comfortable'. And we didnt run up an electric bill running the furnace blower.
    If we needed to drain pipes in farther reaching areas, that could have been done.

Thank the Lord He lead us to supplies of wood long before we got a wood stove. And we're greatful we were able to buy and install said stove.
    Sca

16. corncob

corncob

Curious as to what the local TSC will list their 'pre buy' pellets at. Considering the economy or lack thereof, I might buy a couple more tons if the price is not too 'inflated' I'm sure it will be more than last summer but who knows how much. My local TSC gets Michigan Hardwood Pellets and they burn quite well.

17. corncob

corncob

I keep having this feeling that the upcoming heating season will be, you'll get whatever is available and like it and pricing will be increasingly higher. Extruders operational costs are increasing, transportation costs are increasing so the end product will cost substantially more. Just stands to reason. If you base the cost on the rate of inflation, will be a 'wowzer' season.

18. GHinNH

GHinNH

6 Tons NE pellets being delivered this Wednesday $300 per, $280 last fall so not too bad. Delivery included from local Ace/Cyr lumber, said they were going up July and I suspect it won't be the only time come closer to cold weather.

19. Orson_Yancey

Orson_Yancey

Wood pellets are in-stock at the Newmarket, NH Aubuchon.
    $320/ton Green Supreme.

Cash Larue likes this.
  20. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

It went from the $160-$190 ton fire(ish) sale at the end of last season to $300+ ton in a matter of months.