In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Tell me I’m seeing white!!

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by jo191145, Oct 26, 2019.

  1. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,234
    Likes Received:
    50,436
    Location:
    Ct
    The ones with out bark may be ash. There’s some nice big straight grained logs along this road. Think I’ll snag some up and see how it goes.
     
    Backwoods Savage, dingbat and Chaz like this.
  2. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,849
    Likes Received:
    114,792
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    Sitting here, enjoying my coffee in front of the lit wood stove, on a coolish, rainy Sunday morning. Perfect time to revisit that entire thread. Thanks for reposting!

    Now, the end of that thread, is so needing a picture of the bridge, with a nice dusting of snow. The whipped cream to go with your cherry.
     
  3. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    Looks like white oak. On your idea of splitting, keep in mind any knots (and I see some) can screw up what you are trying to do. Also if you look at that one log you can see a small bend in it. That too will screw up what you are after.
     
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    jo191145 and M2theB like this.
  4. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,234
    Likes Received:
    50,436
    Location:
    Ct
    White Ash? White Ash? I can’t tell the difference between a maple and an oak and your gonna start inventing new trees?
    I see how you came up with the nickname Savage LOL

    Yeah I get it about quality. Those weren’t the nicest or biggest logs there. Just the last pile before leaving the woods.
    Should have time Tuesday to go back and snag up some thick straight ones. Even if their red oak they should outlast me.
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  5. Jack Straw

    Jack Straw

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    8,402
    Likes Received:
    52,443
    Location:
    30 miles west of Albany Ny
    I just built a bridge, I got a little carried away!

    F9D82567-29CE-4408-A3B9-0A6D2412D5DA.jpeg 7DF6E8CD-511D-4CE5-A513-150A8BBCF98A.jpeg
     
  6. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    Can hardly believe what I typed there. That's what happens when you are talking with your wife while typing on the forum...:faint: :mad: :whistle:
     
    MikeInMa and jo191145 like this.
  7. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,234
    Likes Received:
    50,436
    Location:
    Ct
    what? You mean there’s not a white ash? Are you toying with me LOL
     
    Backwoods Savage and Jack Straw like this.