Just had that jerk weather man say there was a chance of frost this week. Did not want to take a chance so I headed out after work to see if I could get a preventative pick so a total loss is avoided. Big surprise! I got over 5 lbs of asparagus from my hunny hole and ate til I could have popped at supper. Then I started cleaning up the rhubarb I picked. Mama Bear whipped up a rhubarb crisp and we froze 6 qts of spring in a stalk.
Here's my taste of spring. My 2 morels I found on Saturday while cutting and hauling wood. These were at least the big blonds, and not the small greys. I barely got this picture before I chopped them all up. I saved the stems for later use. I'll probably dehydrate the stems. And the final result. On pizza, with prosciutto, and fontina cheese. I barely got this picture taken before I ate the evidence. 2 different crusts, one thin, one thicker.
Greensitck, It sounds like….., are you….., do you mean wild asparagus? I have never heard of it before. We're just starting to get some out of our garden.
In my adventures of being a country boy I try to keep my eyes open. I have found around a small lake and a tree claim that burds dun pooped seeds or squirrels stached a pile or whatever and they sprouted and have taken off. Luckily the land owners hate asparagus and told me pick all I want of that gross shtuff. I also found an abandoned farm yard with about 10 GINORMOUS rhubarb plants. Owner said pic to my hearts content.
Ya got me thinkin on my scrounge for food spots. 1/4 mile of plums in old tree claim. Various spots where birds planted buffalo berry on fence lines. A couple apple and crab apple trees in old farm yards. A raspberry patch in one of the farm yards. 2 rows 1/2 mile long in a conservation planting of Siberian pineapple shrubs. Choke cherries in a tree claim.