In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Swimming Pools

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by theburtman, Jul 10, 2024 at 6:43 PM.

1. jrider

jrider

I absolutely love my pool and can’t imagine not having one ever again. Years ago when my pool was chlorine and I had to vacuum once a week, I was getting tired of the water quality issues. Seems like there was a problem every two weeks. Then, I switched to a salt generator and got a “dolphin” which is a robot you plug in and toss in. Now my water is clear all summer long with basically no maintenance. And, it’s much cheaper to operate thankfully because treating 38,000 gallons in a 24’x48’ pool was getting expensive.

IMG_0779.jpeg

2. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

If I looked real fast at that pic of you pool, I woulda mistook it for my Uncle’s pool and surroundings up on Long Island!!!
    Beautiful set up, sir!
    :handshake:

3. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Great post and sharing of what anyone would agree were/are fantastic things to be thankful for!!!

:handshake:

4. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Beautiful!!

5. jrider

jrider

Thank you. It’s my oasis.

6. Husky Man

Husky Man

We don’t have a pool at our house, the lot wouldn’t fit one well, and the trees, would block much of the sun, detracting from the experience, and adding a lot of unwanted debris

IMG_2238.jpeg
    IMG_1008.jpeg
    IMG_1356.jpeg
    Some trees have been removed in this pic, but not enough to improve siting a pool

IMG_1944.png
    The HOA fees cover this, and it is just around the block from us. Not the same as having a private pool in your own backyard, but none of the headaches that go with that, on the balance, it does make for a Nice Compromise. Unfortunately STR’s (Short Term Rentals) are growing in our neighborhood, and the STR “Guests” tend to use the pool more frequently than the residents, so it is becoming more crowded and rowdy, than it has been in the past

some of the Priceless Memories, our boats have provided
    IMG_2959.jpeg
    “Boat Camping” on McGuire Island. On the Columbia River, where the pics in my previous post were also taken

IMG_0123.jpeg
    Getting ready for a day of fishing and crabbing on Nehalem Bay on the Oregon Coast

IMG_0497.jpeg
    My “Favorite Deckhand” with a Nice Dungeness Crab
    IMG_0125.jpeg
    The “First Mate” with a Coho Salmon, she is a “Keeper” too, it was her selling Pampered Chef nights and weekends that bought the boat we fish and crab with, it also does pack mule duty when we boat camp, the other boat is Fun, but would be like driving a sports car to pick up lumber.

IMG_0088.jpeg
    One of many Chinook Salmon we have caught.

Yep, pools and especially boats can get expensive,
    For those not familiar, BOAT, is an acronym for Bust Out Another Thousand ;)

And both do require a certain amount of maintenance, for some of us, the Time, Effort and Expenses are worth it, others find enjoyment in other ways. I have literally been on the water since before I was born, my parents were Salmon fishing buoy 10 on the Columbia River Bar three days before I was born, and for the first 30 years of my life, they had a boathouse (floating home) on the Columbia, for weekends less than 15 minutes from our “Land house “, needless to say I spent a LOT of my Life, on boats and around the water, those are my “Happy Place”

Doug :cheers: