In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

SUV Opinions

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by yooperdave, Nov 11, 2022.

1. Moparguy

Moparguy

My wife wants a new SUV...never been a fan of them except maybe the 4.0 Cherokee for a beater. I just can't get into the styling of them. I would take one of these though.

2021-Dodge-Durango-4-SRT-Hellcat-front-three-quarter-2.jpg

Horkn, wildwest, eatonpcat and 2 others like this.
  2. Skier76

Skier76

Congrats! I was at the Honda dealer the other day for an oil change and was scoping out vehicles on the lot. The Pilot is a nice rig. Post pics when you can!

Horkn, brenndatomu, wildwest and 2 others like this.
  3. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I had a 2000 Cherokee. Rough ride for me and the gas pedal was either idle or warp speed, no slight increase to go up through the gears. (auto, not manual)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2024 at 8:30 PM
  4. Moparguy

Moparguy

The 4.0 was peppy. My brother has a '98 Wrangler 4.0/5 speed and it's like that. It was a great engine, so of course Chrysler got rid of it along with most of the other great cars/trucks/drivetrains.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2024 at 9:24 PM
  5. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

The 4.0 jeep engine is my favorite engine of all time. Especially with a manual transmission.

Horkn, wildwest, eatonpcat and 2 others like this.
  6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

My coworker has a Cherokee with the 4.0 in it... he's not a fan, tons of problems with it, even with fairly low miles on it.

Horkn, Moparguy, wildwest and 2 others like this.
  7. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

I had two. Both in TJ wranglers. Outside of rear main leaks, they were excellent. Fun to drive.

Horkn, Moparguy, brenndatomu and 2 others like this.
  8. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Yep, mine was a lemon. Only way I got through it was it was the first time we'd ever leased a vehicle and I bought the full maintenance package on the lease. I was doing 75k miles/year on it and the 3 rd year I couldn't afford to lose anymore work days after being stranded so many times, so we parked it.

But few years ago I got a message on facebook, some guy in the midwest had bought my Jeep and found a bank slip/reciept of mine that fell behind the dash. Holy cow it looked as nice (new) when we turned back into the dealer.

I remember another, it didn't slow down after taking foot off gas pedal, so several brake jobs by <200K. Husband and kiddo tease that I drive like a Grandma, I def made adjustments for that never ending glide on that car, barely touching the gas pedal. That and not true 4x4 so I got stuck in the snow a few times. (there's a picture from that guy on FHC somewhere here).

I'll get off my complaint box til I remember one other thing that escapes atm.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2024 at 11:05 PM
  9. Skier76

Skier76

The 4.0 is a great engine. We had one in our 2003 Grand Cherokee. When we got rid of it, the transmission was having issues, rust was creeping up in spots, but that engine ran just as good as when we bought it at about 40k on the clock.

Horkn, Moparguy, eatonpcat and 2 others like this.
  10. Moparguy

Moparguy

Low miles in 2024?

11. Horkn

Horkn

Odd, they are usually extremely reliable. Had one in my 92 built 93 model year grand Cherokee ZJ. I had about 225k on it when all sorts of stuff was breaking on it. That 4.0 and the aisin warner aw4 tranny were the only things that never failed on that rig. My brother had an early 2000's xj Cherokee with the 4.0. excellent rig. Same 4.0 and aw4 as my ZJ.

12. Horkn

Horkn

The only good transmissions in the grand Cherokee was the one they removed and replaced with their own corporate tranny's. That was the aisin warner aw4. Only on 93 model years. That aw4 was in the xj Cherokees for like 20+ years

Edit, not sure about the newer GC's , but pretty sure they all have the 8 SPD zf, and those are good, if you can get past the goofy rotary shifter on some of them.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2024 at 12:38 PM
  13. Skier76

Skier76

I believe ours had the 42RE. Made an interesting clunk on downshifting when you got on it hard. One day, park no longer functioned and we had to use the e-brake. Had my mechanic at the time look at it and he found a bit of snap ring in the trans pan. He opted not to pull it apart further. We sold it shortly after. Well, sold it to CarMax.

14. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

We like the older Lexus GX470/460. They are old school body on frame SUVs. The naturally aspirated 2UZ-FE and 1UR-FE V8 engines, and entire drive trains are also very good. The UZ engines are among only a few automotive engines approved by the FAA for use in aircraft. The GX is built at the famed Tahara plant in Japan, along with their flagship Land Cruiser and the Lexus LX. All trucks in this line-up are designed by their engineers to last at least 25 years or 500,000 miles in a third world country.

At least two 2UZ-FE with over 1,000,000 miles have been bought back by Toyota for tear down and study. The dyno results at redline, and wear specs for the major interior engine parts for the 2007 example resulted in a score 99/100, high enough to pass as a good engine right off the assembly line. There was one deduction for one slight wear mark on a bearing.

My GX470 has 225000 miles on the clock. It drives and feels almost brand new…like it is just broken in. Replaced the timing belt, water, pump, rear air bags, and an alternator so far. My wife’s GX460 doesn’t have the airbags or timing belt, and has needed nothing at 115000. These trucks can usually be bought used for less than a similar vintage 4Runner.

The jury is still out on the latest iterations with the twin turbo powered 4Runner, GX, and LX. In general I am a little skeptical. They have more horsepower and a little better gas mileage, but the older rigs are powerful enough, under-stressed, and a lot cheaper!

Horkn, brenndatomu and eatonpcat like this.
  15. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

This was a couple years ago, but yes, still not that high of miles, and still a turd...unless he sold it recently, but even if he did, said turdness went with I'm sure.

eatonpcat and Horkn like this.
  16. yooperdave

yooperdave

Stopped by a honda dealership the other week. Salesman showed me a used pilot with around 70K.

My next question was does it have a timing belt or timing chain?

Belt.

Honda says replace belts at 60K to 100K.......how much for that job?

About 2K..........want to take it for a ride?

No thanks.

Horkn and eatonpcat like this.
  17. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

100k...unless it's an older unit...and 2k sounds pretty strong to me... I have a 2017 Odyssey that is due for its first one in the next 6 months or so... Rock auto sells a timing kit with OEM parts for about $200, the only other thing needed is coolant...it's about an all day job to diy it though...

18. yooperdave

yooperdave

I think the cr-v's have a chain, not a belt. Maybe put them on the list.

There is a decent price on a rav4 a couple hours away. It's a lease return and there is some issue getting the title for it so it's been advertised for weeks for sale. :headbang:

brenndatomu, Horkn and eatonpcat like this.
  19. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

Our dealer said $1400, which includes belt, water pump and the hydraulic tensioner. That was a while back though. I've read its best to use an oem belt vs aftermarket. Guys on the Ridgeline forum have cheaped out and the belts didn't last. It's an interference engine so you know how that can go. If you are doing it yourself, I'd get a belt from honda.

brenndatomu and eatonpcat like this.
  20. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

CRVs have a belt in a much scarier place....the CVT. Lol