In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Summers heat 2400 sq.ft.

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Warner, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Warner

Warner

BHoller got any thoughts on the stove?

2. Warner

Warner

I’m used to regular feedings it’s all I have known.

3. BHoller

BHoller

I have never used one. But have several customers who have been happy after learning to run them properly. They as with most new stoves are much more draft sensitive than old ones. So the chimney setup is more important. They seem to be pretty well built for the price point. The only real persistent complaints I have seen have been about the door and or the stove face being warped.

4. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Wouldn't take long to switch back if you don't move the old one too far away...doubt that would be necessary though.
    How big is the old stove? If the new one and the old one are about the same size firebox, then you will likely get less heat from the new one. They usually will use half the wood (or less) and burn it cleanly, but also have less "raw horsepower" as far as making the BTU's...so you would want to go with a new stove that is physically bigger than the old one to get the same heat...these are pretty good size units (I cant find the actual firebox size right now for some reason...I'd guess over 3 cubic feet) so it should throw some heat!

5. Warner

Warner

Well that is something to think about as the stove itself warping would be a real drag. Thanks for the input.

6. Warner

Warner

The stove I’m replacing is BIG. Will take 26” splits and a bunch of them!

7. BHoller

BHoller

A new stove will not give you the massive btu peak that your current stove does. But it will give you a considerably longer peak at a lower level.

brenndatomu and Warner like this.
  8. yooperdave

yooperdave

I myself had to change over to a three year plan as soon as I got the NC-13 (my first secondary burn stove).

Until you have wood that has been seasoned (drying) for that length of time, you will not enjoy the benefits of secondary burn stoves. the wood has to be dry way beyond what the norm is for a non-epa stove.

No amount of finagling or excuses that you come up with will replace the dry wood. The epa stoves demand it!

I do have another epa stove I installed (just for fun). It is the drolet Eldorado with a secondary burn system also. I bought it used with around 2-3 face cords burnt In it. I asked the guy why are you selling, he said it doesn't burn well and can't keep the house heated. ……...

upload_2020-2-10_17-13-4.jpeg

brenndatomu likes this.
  9. Warner

Warner

I’m getting there but burning 5 cord a year and having a family I like to spend time with it’s been a struggle. I have been stocking up in anticipation to the switch. People always ask me why I have so much wood already! I’m only close to the two year mark.

brenndatomu and yooperdave like this.
  10. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Two year dry wood will work as long as it's not oak or one of the others that are known for longer drying times...

yooperdave likes this.
  11. yooperdave

yooperdave

I agree, this is true. But the same wood, with the only difference being 2 year to 3 year is unbelievable! Night and day for me.

brenndatomu likes this.
  12. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Yeah, I have seen the same thing...but it also depends a lot on how big you split, and how much sun/wind your stacks see...along with local weather conditions (humidity levels, etc) Some people claim to be able to burn oak in 2 years no problem...I suppose I could, if it was dead standing when I got it.
    But now that I have finally figured out the whole dry wood thing...now I have a furnace that wants 18-28% MC according to the manufacturer...and over 20% is better than under 20%...and this is straight from the owner/inventor himself.
    Its not that it doesn't burn the dry stuff well, but he says the gasification phase of the burn is not as healthy without "combustible liquids"...which he says it takes some water to make...I dunno...just when I thought I had this stuff all figured out! :picard: :headbang: :rofl: :lol:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    moresnow, Rush Battle and yooperdave like this.
  13. yooperdave

yooperdave

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol: :thumbs:

Rush Battle likes this.
  14. bushpilot

bushpilot

I'm pretty sure you paid substantially less than $1400 for yours.
    England Stove Works Model #: 50-SHSSW01

brenndatomu likes this.
  15. Kimberly

Kimberly

Yes, I think I was thinking of the Drolet stove I have my eye on at Lowe's. I think it is around $1400.00. I probably paid around the current price listed on Lowe's for my stove. Still, even a bit over a thousand should mean my door would open properly.

16. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

Im burning 3 year rounds and splits and it’s rediculous secondary burn is awesome. 2 -3 cords closer to 2 in a 2500 Sq ft home and never i mean never turned my heat on. My wife didnt have to turn the heat on last winter when i was in the hospital for 60 days. My doors not warped either. How much you selling the old stove for.

Attached Files:

yooperdave, brenndatomu and Hoytman like this.
  17. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

Never mind my angry faces, dont know how i did that

brenndatomu and Hoytman like this.
  18. Hoytman

Hoytman

Ha ha...Sometimes I do that on my phone and unicorns show up. I must be hitting a wrong button inadvertently. Lol! Just edit and delete.

So you’re almost burning only 2 cords? Sweet!!!

Everything you just described is all good to me even with that stove.

Isn’t the large version of that stove the step top? I can’t remember.

brenndatomu likes this.
  19. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

I think i have the large version, i cant imagine something bigger than mine. Iv got a pic of the plate on mine. Its 2400 summer heat smart stove

brenndatomu and Hoytman like this.
  20. Warner

Warner

Well I purchased the stove and will be picking it up later today. Thanks for the real world info Woodwhore. The old stove will be pushed into the corner standing by Incase she needs to be called back into service.

yooperdave, brenndatomu and Hoytman like this.