In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Summers heat 2400 sq.ft.

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Warner, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Hoytman

Hoytman

No problem! I'm glad to see someone is liking that stove. The large glass is certainly a plus. My wife and I both would love being able to see that much of the fire. Some have had issues with that glass falling out though. Just keep that in mind.

One thing is for certain, if I was really interested in that particular stove I think it would be best to forget the reviews, at least keep them in the back of your mind, and give ESW a call and talk to them about it and tell them about any concerns. I highly doubt they are going to tell you anything but the truth. However, you might need to get in touch with someone there who knows that stove and its reviews inside and out. From what I hear they are an outstanding American company.

2. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

Ill have to inspect my glass more. If the glass does break do you just get a new door or does glas install easy

3. Hoytman

Hoytman

The glass should be easily replaced, but the issue that I've read about has been the glass falling out while the stove is in use. Bad...bad...bad...

That said, it might be worth calling ESW as I said and asking them about the issue. I'd almost bet they are aware of it and have fixed it by now. Would be worth a call to those interested in this stove.

The doors are adjustable, but I've heard of issues there as well. There again, if...IF...ESW is still selling this stove, then I highly doubt they will let these go unchecked. May even have fixed the issues with more recently made stoves.

I tend to like the large step top version of that stove. I also like the ash door placement on them, as well as the ash door size. Much bigger ash pan than the NC models and sort of reminds me of the large ash pans on Drolet stoves.

4. Kimberly

Kimberly

As an owner of the stove that has seen some issues; I will grant that I may need to increase the chimney height, I say at the price in Lowe's even if you can't get it down to $500.00 and you pay $539.00 I would buy it. If I was you, I would go by this evening after work and pick it up before someone else gets it. The glass retainers is an easy fix; make some longer tabs or even make a piece that will go the length of the glass top and bottom; which is what I am going to do. I have to pay someone to make them as I don't have any way to fabricate metal. You aren't paying $1400.00 like I did and then having to fix issues; at $1400 I thought England Stove Works should have changed and made better retainers but they didn't; the guy told me they would be the same. I keep an eye on my glass but I am going to make better retainers but I still have to knock ESW for such crappy glass retainers. My door will only open 90 degrees and then binds. I have tried to get some help on this from ESW but without luck. I do believe that customer services has gone down at ESW; someone else on here reported the same. However, at $500 I wouldn't worry if the door only opened 90 degrees; at $1400.00 it is a different story. Then again, the door on that unit may not have that problem; you have it where you can inspect; I had to order my stove and I didn't inspect it before taking ownership of it. It is possible that I got a lemon.

5. Kimberly

Kimberly

That is only on the smaller unit. On the large 2400 they are welded in place. I think that on my stove the hinges are welded slightly off in some manner that prevents the door opening pass 90 degrees; it binds. However; at $500 I wouldn't care; I cared about a new stove that I paid $1400 that the door wouldn't open. I have burned myself a couple times when I touched the door with my arm. On this stove the door may open fully; I may have gotten a stove built by a new guy or the fixture used to align the hinges during welding were off. I may just drive up to ESW and talk to them in person. The nice thing is that this stove is in the store and can be inspected, the door opened etc.

6. Kimberly

Kimberly

Yes, I do like the ash drawer, it is in front instead of on the side like the smaller unit. I do use the ash pan. There are a lot of things I do like about my stove; there are issues though.

7. Hoytman

Hoytman

I wonder if they are at such a low price because maybe ESW may discontinue them? I don't know. I know Drolet dropped their Mryiad II and they were virtually the same price and on sale for nearly the same. I almost bought one, but found the door to be wobbly and backed on that particular stove until I could find another locally, which never happened.

8. Kimberly

Kimberly

I think that stove is on clearance because that Lowe's wants it gone. My local Lowe's stopped ordering stoves; any model, and only offer them online shipped to store for free. I checked here and the price is still the same. That is why I suggest the person getting it even with the issues mentioned. And, the door on that particular one may not have my issue at all and even if it did; the issue of not opening pass 90, I would still pick it up at that price.

9. Kimberly

Kimberly

I do wonder though if they are going to be able to get it to meet the new EPA emissions standard. It appears to me that a lot of stove without cats are going to be discontinued; they basically cut the current rate of emissions in half or close to half.

10. Kimberly

Kimberly

There are four small retainer tabs; on my stove they barely hold the glass in place. There is a gasket that goes around the edge of the glass, then the four tabs with a single screw in each tab. I have photos on here somewhere of the tabs. The NC-30 has a real retainer system that goes on all four sides of the glass. Many on here were very surprised at the glass retainers on my stove; that was a huge cost cutting that ESW did but it was way too much. I need someone that can do metal fabrication; I don't really have any way to cut metal. I have already plan on having a strip of metal that goes the length of the glass that will give a positive retention. The strip of metal will have two tabs that will then go into the slots where each single metal tab is now. I will need one for the top and one for the bottom.

11. Kimberly

Kimberly

I just want to say again that I would certainly grab that stove at that price. Even with the issues that I have and know, I would say that stove is a great bargain at $539 and you might can get the $39.00 off if you ask a manager.

12. Kimberly

Kimberly

I said $1400 but I can't remember the price. I just checked all the Lowe's that are in a good driving distance to me and all showed the current price as $1,098.54. That is shipped to store for free. So if you can get it at $500.00 or even the sticker price $539.00 you might want to consider picking it up. As I said, the Lowe's around here stopped getting in floor displays for all stoves.

13. yooperdave

yooperdave

At the risk of repeating myself, let say once again that Englander's customer service is outstanding! They took care of the two issues I had with my two stoves efficiently. :handshake:

BHoller likes this.
  14. yooperdave

yooperdave

Also, I did return my warranty/registration card promptly and properly filled out, upon purchase/delivery of the Englander stoves.

15. yooperdave

yooperdave

This is the "end of the season" sale that would take place annually at home depot. Maybe there is a home depot somewhere with a similar sale?

FYI, Englander 30NC on sale $519

16. Warner

Warner

So I went and looked closely at the stove after work today, I see what has been mentioned about the “clips that hold the glass” larger ones could be made with a hacksaw and a drill pretty quick.

I realize something I buy at Lowe’s for 500 won’t last forever. But if it uses less wood that the hungry stove I’m running I’ll be ahead. And if it’s burning the wood with less particles going into the atmosphere that’s a plus too.

I have never run a secondary burn or cat stove so I am a bit leery. I know my stove will put out heat if I can put enough wood in it.

brenndatomu likes this.
  17. Warner

Warner

For 500 I’m willing to take a chance.

they have 3 in stock one one the floor that looked hammered. One off on a shelf that looked ok and supposedly one still with the cardboard box on the pallet. I didn’t ask to see that one as I didn’t want to make the guy run around more for me to say I wasn’t going to buy today

brenndatomu likes this.
  18. Warner

Warner

Doesn’t help that all the people that I know that have a tube stove say it dosnt burn great but I know they are burning wet wood.

bushpilot and BHoller like this.
  19. Warner

Warner

I’m still interested in the indoor gasifier but I’m thinking this might be a good fit in between.

20. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Bingo.
    If you have dry wood, tube stoves will make some clean heat!
    About the only thing to get used to (depending on how you operate your current stove) is that these are meant to be "batch burners".
    You load it up, get the firebox up to temp, cut the air back in several steps, let it burn down to coals. Rinse and repeat as needed.
    Most old school stoves could just happily chow on a couple splits every hour or two...tube stoves don't burn nearly as well that way.
    This is how my in-laws try to run their NC30...no matter how many times I show them to operate it properly...they get away with it though because the stove is too big for the house, and they don't seem to mind the glass being dirty all the time. Surprising the chimney, while not being as clean as it could be, isn't terrible.

yooperdave likes this.