In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Summer-izing Owb.

Discussion in 'OWB's and Gasification Boilers' started by Wouldsplitter, Jun 1, 2022.

1. Wouldsplitter

Wouldsplitter

After letting the fire die out for a week or so, I figured it was time to clean the owb for the summer. I shoveled out the ashes and vacuumed out what was left.
    summerize 22 6.jpeg
    I tried to get a picture of the pitting in this area, but it didn't really turn out. The corrosion is the worst under the chimney where the ashes and water meet. I swear ashes and water are more corrosive than salt on vehicles. summerize 22 5.jpeg summerize 22 4.jpeg summerize 22 3.jpeg
    I lined the bottom with used oil and news papers to minimize corrosion. summerize 22 2.jpeg
    I wouldn't believe it unless I saw it with my own eyes, paper NOT burned after sitting in an owb for a year. I guess it doesn't get enough air to ignite, then it get covered in ashes.
    summerze 22 1.jpeg
    Gotta pull the blower out of the door too. Also sprayed the motor with some WD-40. It helps prolong the life of the motor. summerize 22.jpeg

2. campinspecter

campinspecter

Man, that is one big firebox! How many cubic feet of wood does it hold and when full how long does it last ?

Woodwidow and brenndatomu like this.
  3. Wouldsplitter

Wouldsplitter

42" dia 6' deep. If my math is correct 65cu feet. If I filled it full it will burn for 36 hours in the coldest weather. I usually fill it twice a day, or at least check on it twice a day. Heating 2200 sq ft house and 1200 sq ft shop.

billb3, brenndatomu and M2theB like this.
  4. moresnow

moresnow

Guessing no chimney cap?

yooperdave and brenndatomu like this.
  5. billb3

billb3

How many hours in a day in Indiana ?

campinspecter likes this.