In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Stumpin easy

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Greenstick, Apr 18, 2016.

  1. Greenstick

    Greenstick

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2014
    Messages:
    2,400
    Likes Received:
    12,276
    Location:
    Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    Other than a stump grinder or explosives, what methods of stump removal other than dig n chop have you used or tried and how did they perform? I am looking for ease and speed is not extremely vital. I just want them gone quicker than just leaving them to rot or resprout.
     
  2. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,635
    Likes Received:
    130,574
    Location:
    Vermont
    my best way is excavator. I have tried hundreds on different ways. I live in rural area a good 5 ton machine will get most.
     
    Greenstick likes this.
  3. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Excavator quickest & funnest way to go for sure
    but makes a bigger mess than a grinder

    Neighbor hired a grinder outfit few years ago for several stumps
    a lot less damage to the yard, cleaning up the chips not too bad of a chore.
    Had grass growing before the end of summer

    Get a bid on removal & look into renting a grinder
    That'll help you decide.
     
  4. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,635
    Likes Received:
    130,574
    Location:
    Vermont
    True you don't want it to mushy.. and with all do respect to bogydave if in yard as ground stump rots you get holes.. I got tired of tripping in them. I also get 3 year old composted manure free so I (neighbors a farmer puts in a blind pasture for us) so a scoop in loader pack it in rake and grass seed. you can't see where it was in 2 weeks
     
    Greenstick likes this.
  5. Greenstick

    Greenstick

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2014
    Messages:
    2,400
    Likes Received:
    12,276
    Location:
    Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    I am lookin more towards drill holes n add miracle gone or sprinkle salt pepper n honey and flies devoure it and in a year or two its gone and only cost .83 cents.
     
  6. Ralphie Boy

    Ralphie Boy

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2014
    Messages:
    4,274
    Likes Received:
    29,904
    Location:
    Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
    Depends on how many you've got to take out. 1 or 2, I dump a 20 lb. bag of charcoal over it, after I've cut it as as low as i can, then I light off the charcoal and cover it with a metal trash can lid and put a few bricks on top of that. You may need more charcoal and you may not. Low labor low cost. Most of the labor is covering the hole with topsoil so something will grow.:BrianK:
     
    Kyle Mulligan, RCBS and Greenstick like this.
  7. bocefus78

    bocefus78

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2013
    Messages:
    3,694
    Likes Received:
    19,840
    Location:
    Indiana
    $12 mineral block on top and the deer will dig the stump out for you! IMAG0887.jpg