In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Stump removal.

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Duvekot, Mar 15, 2018.

1. MikeyB

MikeyB

Very cool post. Never heard of this before.

2. shack

shack

Yes, this is very effective! ...and easy.

3. Chaz

Chaz

In the city, Jill and I had a fire ring (sewer man-hole casing) that we put around a stump.
    After many years of small backyard fires (that we weren't suppose to have) it seemed to just disappear.

We always wondered what ever happened to that stump. :whistle:

4. Chaz

Chaz

I've also heard of people drilling large holes into stumps, keep filling up with Diesel or Kerosene over a week or so, then lighting it.

Never tried it, as it seems to me that a pesky neighbor could get you in a LOT of trouble through EPA violations on that one.

5. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Or filling those holes with salt... not for combustion purposes.

Chaz, Backwoods Savage, Maina and 2 others like this.
  6. shack

shack

Here is a fairly decent 'how to' video...the old guy is interesting, does he remind you of any FHC members??? at 10:20 into the video he says something I like a lot...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  7. shack

shack

I took down a balsa tree a couple of years ago, about 24 inch diam. I drilled about 30 holes in it with a 3/4 bit about 8 inches deep and filled it with used motor oil at least 4 times that summer...never got around to burning it...that dang thing is sending up shoots that are 10 feet tall now and actually look pretty nice...I am probably going to keep it for a while now.

8. Enzed Bill

Enzed Bill

I saw a stump burning video a few years ago where the guy used a hair dryer to blow the ash off and revive the fire every so often.

Depends on having electricity close to the stump of course. Or if you happen to have forge bellows, that would probably work too.

9. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Gas powered blower is an excellent substitute for a corded device. The backpack blowers are the catz @zz for this.:thumbs:

10. JPDavis

JPDavis

We charge 2 dollars a linear inch to grind a stump out, that means if that stump is 12 inches wide it would cost you 24 dollars to grind said stump out. We leave the grindings no hauling off for that price.

brenndatomu, Chaz, papadave and 6 others like this.
  11. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Dang, that’s really reasonable :yes:

brenndatomu, Chaz, papadave and 7 others like this.
  12. JPDavis

JPDavis

If you saw how quick it goes you may think otherwise.

13. Enzed Bill

Enzed Bill

I'm pretty sure that's Uncle Jesse from The Dukes of Hazzard.

14. Duvekot

Duvekot

90714F8A-251C-4A62-9595-2B31238F2E7D.jpeg C9CC774D-7DD0-41E5-AEAC-8B0ED7D0FE1B.jpeg 1440F4A3-A048-407E-BA8C-8C636C2B7F4A.jpeg 742B7D8C-7BDE-4B05-8A7A-7AEBBDDD3ED3.jpeg Hej he all,

Here a little update after almost 20 hours of burning.
    The whole top of the stump has burned away and in the slids it was still a little bit burning.
    So i just filled it up again and started a new fire, lets see what day 2 will bring and how far down i will get it to burn away! I will keep u guys posted.

Have a nice day all

brenndatomu, Chaz, papadave and 7 others like this.
  15. yooperdave

yooperdave

Yes! Thats very true!! But....just be glad that it wasn't a pine stump burning because a chimney fire would have started!

Rowerwet, brenndatomu, Chaz and 6 others like this.
  16. yooperdave

yooperdave

Like that pic! Right along with the "sacrificial offering" pic too!

Backwoods Savage and Eric VW like this.
  17. yooperdave

yooperdave

Well now you did it! Dang thing is going to survive as some mutant of nature and instead of producing pitch, it'll produce crude oil!

18. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

We can still burn stumps here in Maine, but in Vermont it is against the law (at least that is what my friend from Vermont told me who clears land too).

A great trick here is to pull the stump with an excavator, shake off as much dirt as you can, then leave it over the winter. The frost will dry out and knock the dirt from around the stump making them easier to burn, or if you do push them, it leaves more soil behind for farming.

Stumps do burn a long time though, so here we just light them on fire at the beginning of winter, that way they have snowfall all winter in which to burn, but even then liability is huge if they are still burning in the Spring when it is dry.

Stump Grinding here, and grinding alone, is $900 an acre, but it is not a great choice. Over time the stump will rot underground and create sink holes that can play havoc with equipment and livestock legs.

brenndatomu and Midwinter like this.
  19. Duvekot

Duvekot

568D6E9C-E2DB-4B74-903B-3711420253E8.jpeg B00D5493-01E0-4029-BD70-4A8FE4BF2582.jpeg CB5AB0CE-21DF-480B-8036-C13774C4B42A.jpeg Hej hej all,

About 30 hours in to the burn now, added some sand around to restrict the air flow. ( just added 3 little holes around it)
    I hope it will burn hotter this way and it will be more fuel efficent.
    Got no charcoal left so i just fill it up with fire wood all the way to the top.
    I will look tomorrow how far the stump is gone. I have my two little girls to help me!

Have a nice day all.

Midwinter, TurboDiesel, Chaz and 4 others like this.
  20. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Is there a law, yes, is it enforced.. No. Law was written because some inconsiderate lazy people in cities thought burning steep banks every year was easier than mowing them. Kids with asthma or breathing problems it bothered them as it was extremely Smokey because it was green. So there is a law. Most 99% fire marshals will not enforce it outside of city limits. I burn stumps all time, most of my bon fires are strategically placed around stumps.

There is also a law in VT, or was, you had to bring your guns to church. As the Indians figured out to attack on Sunday mornings. They stopped enforcing that one also.