In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Strange fog horn noise, coming from new Pacific Summit Stove

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Lastmohecken, Oct 3, 2021.

1. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

I think you are right, and I agree that the tall stack may be the issue. The noise doesn't bother me now, that I know what it is. I have not built a fire yet, this year, so we will see. And this may be the reason on my first Pacific stove, the installer elected to leave the room air cover in place. I did remove my room air cover plate but may replace it before I add a damper, then add a damper if still needed. I would almost be temped to take a look at the stove damper itself, and maybe modify it if it doesn't choke it down enough. I think it would probably not be that difficult to do instead of putting a damper above the stove.

It's getting cooler, and won't be too long until I will be taking the maiden voyage with this baby and firing it up. Then we will see.

amateur cutter likes this.
  2. Warner

Warner

I have heard of people using magnets to cover the partial opening left by the primary control damper. :whistle:

For me a pipe damper is cheap insurance if the stove runs away.

3. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

That's true, about all of the old stoves had one, that I remember. I haven't used one in 25 years, or more since I got my first Pacific Energy Super 27 back then. The store talked me out of installing one, back then.

4. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

Well, first fire in the new stove, today. So far so good. I currently have windows open and the attic fan running, trying to pull out the fumes from the new stove paint. The fumes are pretty strong. I guess this as good a day as any to do it. It's not really cold just slightly cool and the wife was a little cold, so I decided to fire it up, knowing I would have to open the windows, anyway, to pull out the new paint fumes. I let her roll for a while on high, then backed it off to about mid way, finally I cut it all of the way down, and I can see now that it has choked it down, pretty good. So, the stove damper is working decently, I think. I am going to open it back up some now, and continue to season the paint some more.

WOOD STOVE, FIRST , OCT 16TH.jpg

brenndatomu and amateur cutter like this.
  5. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

That's a nice looking stove! Please understand that I'm not a stove expert by a long shot, but with a chimney that tall I would want a pipe damper for sure. I've got a 26' straight chimney with tons of draw as well, the stove closes down really tight, & I put a damper in just in case. I think the reason installers don't recommend them is because people may try & regulate a fire with it & defeat the stove's intended design & function. To my mind it's there only if something goes wrong, stove air control failure, leaky door gasket etc. Better to have it & never need it. Cheap insurance imo.

Lastmohecken and Slocum like this.
  6. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

I may add one, later on. I may check with the store where I bought it and see if they have a short one foot long double wall damper I could install, at the bottom of my telescoping double wall pipe. I am too close to the wall for a single wall pipe section.

7. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

Well, I decided to go ahead and install a damper above the stove. I looked up the specs and it shows that I could use a single wall pipe, so I installed a one foot section with damper, as the first section off of the top of the stove.

Now, the thing that still baffles me is even with the damper closed, I still get that fog horn noise coming from the stove if I close the air control completely. So, I tend to think that it can't be because the stove pipe stack is too tall and creating too much draft. I think it just a flaw in the stove control door. However, I do think it wind related, so the draw on the stack maybe the the issue, but I sure don't understand how with the new damper fully closed that I would still get the noise.

8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Well, the damper doesn't totally close off the pipe, so a strong draft could still be responsible, especially if there is some anomaly with the stove that is contributing...I've heard of people that even have 2 dampers to get the draft under control on real cold days! (basement installs...and usually a wood furnace)

9. yooperdave

yooperdave

Do you have guy wires attached to stack or anything else up there on the roof? Or maybe even antenna lines (cable) or elec lines that are creating the sound while vibrating with the winds? Growing up, we had a antenna tripod on the roof that would vibrate with the winds.....

Lastmohecken and brenndatomu like this.
  10. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Ours does that...can only hear from the master BR though...

yooperdave likes this.
  11. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

No, and my old Pacific 27 never done it. It's the stove control door, because if I crack it about a 1/4" open the sound stops, or if I open the stove door it stops. What surprises me is it still hums just as loud even with the new pipe damper all of the way closed. Anyway, it looks like I would need to modify the stove control door itself to change anything.

brenndatomu and yooperdave like this.
  12. billb3

billb3

It would be nice to know just which orifice is singing because then you might be able to tune it, if not completely tune it out.

And yeah, neither damper is likely closing "all the way".

yooperdave likes this.
  13. Sean in the woods

Sean in the woods

UP, Michigan, USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm
    When it sings, open the air intake a little bit. If it stops, that is the orifice.

brenndatomu likes this.