In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

stove

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by chris, Feb 24, 2018.

1. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Oh I understand now, I thought there were rocks in the firebox, not that the stove was missing.

2. yooperdave

yooperdave

Sometimes, you just have to ask....:yes: [:D

3. Qyota

Qyota

Sounds like the 65" 4K TV I bought a week before the Super Bowl this year. It was "lost on the shipping dock" between carriers. MmmHmm, sure...a giant TV box just goes missing. Someone is watching a very nice TV right now and didn't pay for it. Lucky for me, the vendor shipped another one post-haste that made it here in short order and in good shape.

Maina, Horkn, milleo and 4 others like this.
  4. yooperdave

yooperdave

I'll bet that happens a lot more than we know.

Maina, Horkn, wildwest and 1 other person like this.
  5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Probably the most likely reason...

Maina, Horkn, wildwest and 1 other person like this.
  6. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:rofl: :lol: Every group has that one member........this group is so good making sure the dense member does not get left behind :campfire:

[

Need a cute meme from Midwinter like the last duckling straggling behind or something..

Maina, stumplifter, Horkn and 4 others like this.
  7. yooperdave

yooperdave

C'mon now! That sure isn't you!

8. chris

chris

NC30 in the shop as of yesterday. Friday was flue install day. Yep, got some mandatory pics if I can figure out how to resize them a bit. Had to move flue further into room of install due to roof structural supports. Could not make clearances in first location about a 14" shift. So it is now going to require a pair of 45's to connect stove. First up the supervisors. Transition unit- to the left of this is where the structural conflict was, ready for the stove -apx 2ft over peak. Steel comes Mon. to construct hearth pad . 2" angel iron frame, 1/2" osb, 1" roxoul board, about R-4 ,1/2" cement board, tiles. Roughly 3'x5' . Flue length from top of stove to exit apx 18ft ( vertical ,not counting horz. offset ). The propane co. made a visit Thur. for another 200+ gal. At this point my wallet is stuck in the business end of my 30 ton splitter, trying to squeeze a couple more pennies out of it.

Attached Files:

9. chris

chris

Heck, got to run a grounding line to that stack yet and tie it into the rest of the circuit, as it is the highest point on roof.

Chaz, Horkn, wildwest and 1 other person like this.
  10. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I asked that question elsewhere a few years ago...because it seems like the chimney would be a big ole lightning rod...the general consensus was that it was unnecessary. The reason why got pretty technical so I don't recall the details, but it was enough for me to abandon my grounding plans. Lightning rods and all that seem to be kinda controversial anyways...

milleo, Chaz and Horkn like this.
  11. Chaz

Chaz

That is an extremely familiar feeling. :emptywallet:
    Someday I wanna be this guy..:makeitrain" and not have to worry about it. :smoke:

As to grounding the chimney I never thought about that, but I have plenty of tall tree's around to act as lightning rods, and I think the "Chimatenna®" is actually grounded, so I should be fine. :D

12. chris

chris

Got a whole net work of lighting rods on roof , on there when I bought the place. I am close to the giant wirlygigs that belong to the power company. No idea if that is why. The few trees around the house were not there when it was built. Farm country pretty flat. Storm coming in Mon- Tue. Typical March dumper for my area. Low side is 4" high side 10" of wet cement ( some call it snow but after a long stint of plowing commercially, I call it as mentioned) Unless the timing changes the later 1/2 of Mon. and all of Tue. is going to be lost production time at the my shop. Do not like bobsledding in vehicles and in particular playing demolition derby on the roadways. Hopefully my steel delivery comes early Mon. morning so I can head home before it gets nasty.

Chaz likes this.
  13. stumplifter

stumplifter

Looks like a serious duo that won't stand for any shenanigans unless a squeaky toy is involved.

:)