In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Storing a Splitter outside for the Winter?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Nordic Splitter, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Nordic Splitter

Nordic Splitter

Anyone store their Wood Splitter outside for the winter season and just cover it with tarps???

2. MAD777

MAD777

Following this because I have the same issue....

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

3. papadave

papadave

Mine's under a lean to attached to a shed. No tarp.
    I've left it outside near splitting area most of a couple winters, but tarp covered (I did a lot of processing at the time).

4. M2theB

M2theB

Negative. I was lucky enough to buy property that allows for a walk out cellar and have an excavator with foresight to recommend I make it a double door walk out while we were going over the plans.

5. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

Yes my splitter is out side. I keep it between two rows of stacked splits and then have it covered pretty good with a tarp. I prefer to have it inside but have no room right now.

6. Felter

Felter Banned

years ago I did. i bought the splitter new in 05. i sold it to a friend a few years later. he also stores it outside to this day. its still running strong. just drain the gas out. or shut the fuel off and let it idle till it runs out when your gonna store it for a month or more.

7. Horkn

Horkn

We keep ours outside. We just make sure the ram is all the way in so the cylinder shaft doesn't get rusty, and we put a plastic storage tote upside down on the engine to keep that covered.

8. B.Brown

B.Brown

I keep mine outside as well, i have a big plastic cover for the motor, then i use 2 of the plastic covers they use to protect wood pellets for shipping, i put one full length of the splitting frame, and then double it, up. Keeps it dry, and very well protected. I retract the ram all the way in, and will lube up the splitting tray with some used oil as well, to keep it rust free. I'll fire it up every now and then, run some wood through it just because. I use aviation mogas 92 octane, in it, and its never failed to start no matter how long its sat unused. I started it up this past week, let it warm up for about 3 min, then split a load of wood for the wheelbarrow.

9. farmer steve

farmer steve

Mine is out 24/7/365 covered with a rubber tarp but not sealed up enough to trap moisture. The only time it comes in is if we are having a big snow so that i can plow around the wood piles.

10. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

Mine sits outside with the ram all the way in like Horkin. I do need to find something to cover the engine.

11. Midwinter

Midwinter

Maybe some rubber roofing?

12. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Mine sets outs side... I tried tarps... But I was always blowing holes at rub points... Then I got one of those big material bags from work that we had material come in... Two straps and its still working with no problem.. And that been 6-7 years now?

13. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

That would work, but I like Horkins tote idea. I have plenty of those around.

14. mr.finn

mr.finn

Mine stay outside year round, just make sure you have a good way to keep it covered.

15. Timberdog

Timberdog

Yup. Actually sprung for a cover designed for it.

16. Maina

Maina

Mine lives outside with a cover on it.

17. Andimus Prime

Andimus Prime

Mine is parked under my deck. I used to keep it outside under a tarp, but I kept having problems with mice building nests under the tarp.

Barcroftb, Maina, Felter and 10 others like this.
  18. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

You could build a small lean-to roof and hang tarps down the sides if you have room? We did that for an old riding mower it worked great and was very cheap. Stood pallets up and then put pallets over the top as a roof and tarped the sides. It was roofed with the cheap corrugated plastic from Home Depot.

Backwoods Savage has something like that made with firewood as side walls I believe.

19. JCMC

JCMC

I bought the DHT 35 ton it came with a cover designed to fit. It lasted about 6 months and started to deteriorate now it looks like swiss cheese! Very disappointing!
    Now I use a cheap blue tarp and a couple bungies.

Barcroftb, Maina, Felter and 9 others like this.
  20. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I hate to see any of my machines sit outside. Even with two full size tractors, 8 garden tractors, 4 chainsaws, a splitter, generator, backpack blower, 3 trimmers, etc. I make it work. My outbuildings aren’t huge either. One is 16x24, and one a shed that started out as 12x12, then got a 10x12 lean-to on one side and a 12x20 lean-to on the back. The 10x12 lean-to has none of the above listed stuff in it. My son spotted a 20 hp Simplicity Sunstar cream puff from the bus that was sitting outside parked in the same spot for a couple months. I stopped and asked the guy if he’d sell it, and I ended up buying it. He had a big two car garage and a big shed with a bunch of plant pots, cardboard boxes, and a bunch of other junk in them. I could never understand why people use their garages as junk storage when valuable items sit outside to weather, fade and rust.

Barcroftb, Maina, Felter and 8 others like this.