In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Still learning

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Greg, Jan 22, 2021.

  1. Greg

    Greg

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2014
    Messages:
    1,589
    Likes Received:
    15,452
    Location:
    Central PA
    Well my maiden voyage to the mill went OK I guess. Took full trailer load of logs and brought 1/3 back.

    As they were too short or had bends that would make it inefficient to mill

    and so now I know!
     

    Attached Files:

    cnice_37, Boogeyman, Horkn and 16 others like this.
  2. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,878
    Likes Received:
    115,047
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    What wasn't millable, is now for firewood. Right?
     
  3. Greg

    Greg

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2014
    Messages:
    1,589
    Likes Received:
    15,452
    Location:
    Central PA
    Yep, processing tomorrow. Maybe save a bowl blank or two. I’m not sure how well red oak will turn, so the learning will continue. My favorite wood and I rarely get it, so gonna save a few 4 ft straight ones and rip with bandsaw for small projects.
     
  4. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,587
    Likes Received:
    68,069
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    I'll bet a piece of crotch section would make for an interesting bowl.
     
  5. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    49,012
    Likes Received:
    312,408
    Location:
    Central MI
    It sometimes pays to talk with someone at the mill before loading up.
     
    Horkn and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  6. Greg

    Greg

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2014
    Messages:
    1,589
    Likes Received:
    15,452
    Location:
    Central PA
    Got my lumber back. 301 board feet. Got in unloaded and stickered so maybe will have some fun project wood for next winter 2E4198E6-1721-4110-B434-66AF154490A8.jpeg
     
  7. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,851
    Likes Received:
    215,607
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Thats some nice stock. Will you plane it or use as is? I love the saw marks.
     
    MikeInMa likes this.
  8. Greg

    Greg

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2014
    Messages:
    1,589
    Likes Received:
    15,452
    Location:
    Central PA
    it’s so wet may be a while, but I’m planning someday to add a mid level planer and joiner. Just going to be for small projects. Going to focus mainly on turning.
     
    buZZsaw BRAD likes this.
  9. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,554
    Likes Received:
    141,620
    Location:
    US
    TurboDiesel
     
  10. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,241
    Likes Received:
    97,577
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    Oak is hard on the tools. Gotta sharpen often. The open grain is a little harder to deal with.
    Can't wait to see the turning projects!:handshake:
     
    Greg likes this.