In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Stihl's splitting axe

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by Rich L, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

2. Rich L

Rich L

Remember I said I split the round in half first.Which meant I split it with the sledge and wedge.Then I applied the axe to the halves and quartered them.The Fiskars can in no way do what this axe can do and I like my Fiskars.However I won't be picking up the fiskars as long as this axe is around.Anyone helping me split wood can use the Fiskars.The Stihl is for me.

3. Rich L

Rich L

Screwloose and Mtnbikerfred like this.
  4. Mtnbikerfred

Mtnbikerfred

Yeah. 2 feet, no problem. 3 feet, I'm bringing out the sledge/maul. I'd probably saw it in half first. I like quarters I can pick up one-handed...

5. Dazza95

Dazza95

Sounds great, do you have a link to the one you bought please? I’m looking to buy one myself but it seems that the UK range is completely different.

metalcuttr and Screwloose like this.
  6. Rich L

Rich L

I picked up the axe at my local Ace Hardware store.Try going on the Stihl site.They can tell you who in your area is selling these axes.

metalcuttr, Dazza95 and Screwloose like this.
  7. Rich L

Rich L

I didn't bring my saw.My plan was to just load the rounds and split the ones to big to lift.I don't think the owner wanted me to bring a saw.He planted corn in front of where the wood was stacked and I had to watch where I was stepping.My old Oregon splitting wedge which is the best wedge I've ever used made quick work of those rounds.Then the axe quartered them.I loaded the quarters filled the truck and was on my way.There's about nine more truck loads of rounds to be had.However the owner and I said it's best if I come back after the corn harvest Late in the summer or early fall.The wood seems seasoned and is not going anywhere so I'm good with that arrangement.It'll be cooler to.It was 90-92 on that day of sweat dripping.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020