In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Stihl MS192T cylinder differences

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by stackowood, Mar 9, 2016.

1. stackowood

stackowood

I have 4 or 5 MS192T/TC saws that I'm rebuilding and noticed that on the earlier T models up to 2007 the cylinder is different and the compression is higher.

On the newer TC models with Ergo-start there is a groove in the cylinder wall extending just below the exhaust port. It reduces compression, and probably makes it easier to start, but why did Stihl do this? A 30cc saw is not tough to pull over. Everything else about the two cylinders looks the same, and they have different part numbers.

The older T pushes about 175psi, and the newer TC only comes up with about 140 psi.

clemsonfor likes this.
  2. NewToStihl

NewToStihl

That is referred to by Stihl as a "pre-exhaust groove", but I don't know the rationale behind it.

clemsonfor likes this.
  3. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Yea if a 30cc is hard to pull over you might have trouble lifting all but twigs that you cut

4. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

Does the older t cylinder fit on the newer tc saws?

clemsonfor likes this.
  5. NewToStihl

NewToStihl

Yes.

Barcroftb likes this.
  6. stackowood

stackowood

I just finished rebuilding a couple of TC saws with the older T cylinder (OEM) and they have a very noticeable difference in compression. With the carb limiters removed, and the muffler outlet opened up, they really run well.

7. askfault

askfault Guest

This is confirmed as a fact?

In error I have dimpled my 192tc cylinder wall attempting to repair a loose muffler and will need to replace it.

8. NewToStihl

NewToStihl

See post #5.

Scotty Overkill and Barcroftb like this.
  9. stackowood

stackowood

I have used a number of the 'T' cylinders #1137-020-1203 and they bolt in just fine. There is only one piston part number, so it works with either style cylinder if you are re-using an old piston. Dealer charges $99 for the P/C assembly... haven't found any aftermarket ones yet.

Scotty Overkill likes this.
  10. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

I have two 019T's that will be getting overhauled this winter, will the crankshaft out of an old 017 work in the 019? I have a crank that is out of time......

11. askfault

askfault Guest

Thank you for the sound counsel. Before checking for a reply here I called and Mark at Stihl confirmed that the 192tc is compatible with the 192t cylinder just as you folks have confirmed.

Off to go get that done.

:salute:

clemsonfor likes this.