In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Stihl 034 Super AV EQ

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by LordOfTheFlies, Jul 18, 2021.

1. Ron T

Ron T

Wow...a bit extreme on their part. Now open up that muffler, retune and let it sing :whistle:

2. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

I'm happy it's singing already! The inside of the muffler is pretty open already.

Baffle part on the right pic has a big ol' gap in the middle on both sides. How much more open you talking about?

2021-10-03 15.35.43.jpg 2021-10-03 15.35.48.jpg

M2theB and Ron T like this.
  3. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

And there's more to the story than just what I said. They have a history of harassing people in the neighborhood. I'll leave it at that.

4. Ron T

Ron T

Compare the muffler opening to the size of your exhaust port for starters. Remember though, it's not as easy to put it back once it's gone.

5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Slacker...;) :whistle: :D

6. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

I have a 225amp 220v stick welder from HF. I've fix my shovel that had a huge crack in it and also my fuel door hinge pin on my Sienna that the dealer wanted $800 to replace and paint. I told them to suck a duck and spent that money on all the welding gear. Now I just need some practice time and need to work on my beads. I want to weld a headache rack for the Tacoma.
    I do what I can! :D

brenndatomu and Ron T like this.
  7. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

And the cutouts in the muffler are about the same size as the exhaust port, perhaps a tiny bit smaller. But I think I'm going to run the saw as it is for a little while and hope it doesn't blow up. Knock on wood.

Chud and Ron T like this.
  8. Chud

Chud

That’s what I was thinking when you were pinning the throttle in the vid. Makes me nervous ever since I heard a saw let go while someone was pinning it too long.

Ron T, brenndatomu and LordOfTheFlies like this.
  9. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

I pin it all the time when actually cutting wood. But yeah typically I don't rev it up all the way by itself. The only reason I did that was to get the tach reading. Although am I supposed to get the reading *while* I'm cutting wood???

Saw this on AS. Someone said it was the best video they've ever seen on tuning a chainsaw.

10. Chud

Chud

Starting at the baseline is a good standard practice. From there Chain creep, high idle, throttle response will let you know if you need to turn L and T. Because a lean H scares me, I avoid pinning out of cut. I was taught to listen for a little 4 stroking with throttle pinned. Now I go more by how it sounds and cuts under load at standard H setting. I’m no expert, and used to be hesitant to turn those screws, but if I’m keeping up with my turns, I shouldn’t blow it up. When in doubt start from the beginning. A little can be a lot.

Ron T, brenndatomu and LordOfTheFlies like this.
  11. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

I didn't turn the H or L at all for now. I haven't used the saw yet but I just remembered I have one huge white oak round out back that I can noodle or buck smaller just to test it out. Today is piano day for the kids so no fun for me! Thanks for the tip.

brenndatomu and Chud like this.
  12. Chud

Chud

It sounded decent in your video. Being a little rich is not a bad thing for H, unless it’s a dog in the cut.

LordOfTheFlies and brenndatomu like this.
  13. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Piano day...pfft...Tuesdays should be "ID dad's latest firewood score" day ;) :whistle:
    I thought it sounded a bit fat too...kinda hard to tell at first after a rebuild though...all that extra oil in there to burn off...but I'd rather it a bit rich too, especially at first.

LordOfTheFlies and Ron T like this.
  14. Ron T

Ron T

20211005_154557.jpg 20211005_154540.jpg You went and made me dig mine out and fire it up :cheers:

brenndatomu, LordOfTheFlies and Chud like this.
  15. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

I fired it up just now before reading this just to make sure it would fire up. Glad it made you fire yours up!! And yeah I will keep an eye on it and excited to test it out on a real log.

Ron T Did you make that shroud yourself to prevent debris from getting to the air filter or is that how it came?

16. Ron T

Ron T

They come like that

brenndatomu and LordOfTheFlies like this.
  17. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

Nice! Mine didn't!!! #$(*&*(#@&#

18. Ron T

Ron T

You even made me look at this one that needs attention. Good spark and compression. Probably going to be a winter project. 20211005_161223.jpg 20211005_161232.jpg

19. huskihl

huskihl

It’s part of a winter kit. There’s a partial cover for the bottom of the recoil vent holes also

20. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

You have two 034 saws?? I'm jealous! Don't forget the wiggle test on the crank!! Hahaha (I'm just repeating what I learned!)

Oh nice thanks for the info. Are you talking about the small rubber flap that's held in by pushing two rubber bumps into the jug cover? Mine is barely hanging on. I wonder if I can find a replacement for it.

BuckthornBonnie and brenndatomu like this.