In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Stihl 025 carb rebuild, compression when starting is back. Please explain where it went.

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by fishingpol, Dec 16, 2014.

  1. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    My 025 has been giving me problems when starting for the past few months. I buy wood, so I just use it for occasional small scrounges and cutting up whatever is around. It has been flooding out while starting and dying out after cutting. Finally, last week, it would not start.

    When it has flooded during starting, it has been just pull, pull, pull... all easy pulls. Fast forward. I rebuilt the carb. The old needle had some brown residue on it near the point. I put in a new fuel line and filter. The air filter and spark plug are pretty new. I went to start it after the rebuild, and I was surprised by the compression. Two pulls and off it goes. I checked the old fuel line and it was not too bad.

    Can someone explain why, with the bad carb, pulling to start it was so easy? Was there some sort of reverse flow of fuel leaking past the needle relieving the compression in the cylinder? Did more gas mix in the cylinder cause the cylinder make it easier to pull? I'm just trying to understand the effortless pull.
     
  2. cnice_37

    cnice_37

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,211
    Likes Received:
    14,236
    Location:
    SE Mass
  3. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Closed till the first burp, and then up one notch. Starting it the same way now as before.
     
  4. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
    Effortless pull may have been from the fuel washing the cylinder walls and crank bearings of oil, reducing friction and allowing more blow-by the rings.
     
    DexterDay and fishingpol like this.
  5. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Good thought. Makes sense.