In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Starter rope ?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by B.Brown, Oct 21, 2018.

  1. B.Brown

    B.Brown

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2018
    Messages:
    1,389
    Likes Received:
    9,460
    Location:
    USA
    Not sure if its ever been asked, but, generally speaking how long of a starter rope do you guy's like? I've got one 266 XP with what i think is a short pull rope. Another seems pretty much perfect. So, what length do you prefer? And, i haven't measured either one of them at this time.
     
  2. M2theB

    M2theB

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2017
    Messages:
    3,004
    Likes Received:
    19,226
    Location:
    Central Massachusetts
    image.jpg
    I buy 4.5 off the spool for like $.40/ft and figure 4 feet. And I let the full spool tell me when it's full. If there's any slack at the handle, I'll give it another wrap or more until snug. Then I'll pull some out off the spool, secure it with vise grips, make the final tie at the handle and then gently let it wind itself back to seat the handle.
     
  3. amateur cutter

    amateur cutter

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    5,997
    Likes Received:
    48,771
    Location:
    Gun Lake MI
    I put as much rope as will fit on the pulley without interference. That way I'm not pulling against the stop knot all the time. Ropes seem to last better that way.