In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Started workin on the pile

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Smokinpiney, Mar 10, 2014.

  1. Smokinpiney

    Smokinpiney

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,811
    Likes Received:
    20,675
    Location:
    "South" Jersey
    Over the weekend I started splittin the pile I've been building out back. Got quite a bit done but I gotta take it easy. I was stupid and thought I was hercules and tried to wrestle a big round onto the splitter. I must've pulled muscles in both forearms cause they've been screaming ever since.

    Pic is from yesterday, got some more done today.
     

    Attached Files:

  2. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Looks great! I have been itching to split some wood lately
     
    NortheastAl likes this.
  3. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Looks like you got a good start.
    After some mishaps Like yours, I realize I have to know my limits and think twice before pushing them
     
    NortheastAl likes this.
  4. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Nice work there Smokin! Go easy on those arms. Popeye would be proud of the work you gave those forearms!
     
    NortheastAl likes this.
  5. tfdchief

    tfdchief

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    1,233
    Likes Received:
    7,637
    Location:
    Tuscola, IL
    Nice looking pile of splits but take it easy. You can certainly hurt yourself. You need a helper like I have. At my age, I take all the help I can get. I have broken my back, been diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and turned 65. My son, grandson and by new dog Buddy help though. Here is Buddy helping me stack.
    Buddy stacking wood.JPG
    My son doing the big Shingle Oak.
    Doug and the Shingle Oak.jpg
    My grandson doing his part.
    Trent Wood Cutting 2012 edit.jpg
     
  6. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Gonna be a big pile
    & make a great stack picture too :)

    Love the blue sky :)
     
  7. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    Smoke, good looking pile you got started there. And I agree with you 100% on the taking it easy part. I overdid it clearing a lot this winter and I'm still paying for it today.
     
  8. Smokinpiney

    Smokinpiney

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,811
    Likes Received:
    20,675
    Location:
    "South" Jersey
    Thanks guys! Sometimes we just need a little reminder that we aren't superhuman. And my aching arms are just that. Even though im still pretty young i need to realize im not AS young as i used to be :emb:

    Chief, Nice looking family ya have there! Ive got two little helpers but they usually just steal my splits and run off to chew on them.

    Here's one and the other is hiding in the woodpile somewhere
    [​IMG]
     
  9. Thoreau's cabin

    Thoreau's cabin

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2014
    Messages:
    455
    Likes Received:
    1,770
    Location:
    Vandalia, Ohio
    Welcome to the FHC Infirmary Bar, pull up a set and have a beer! Man this place is starting to get crowded.
     
    Smokinpiney likes this.
  10. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,170
    Location:
    Central MI
    Smokin, that looks like some great firewood. Really sorry to hear about the muscles though and hope you heal quickly.

    Now the next time do it right. Don't lift the wood onto the splitter!!!!! Stand that splitter up and split like wood was intended to be split; vertically. That way there is no lifting. You have a cant hook (looks like a good old one too) so you can just roll them onto the splitter; no lifting!
     
  11. Smokinpiney

    Smokinpiney

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,811
    Likes Received:
    20,675
    Location:
    "South" Jersey
    Thanks dennis. Sometimes i will go vertical with it but for me it just seems easier horizontal. I know i know it sounds crazy but i'd much rather be standing up but i also need to realize that those BIG rounds can wait. I'll just set em aside for now and either quarter them or tilt the ol splitter up.

    And yes that can't hook is OLD and works great!
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  12. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,170
    Location:
    Central MI
    Reminds me of one of my old ones. Only mine was stolen....:mad: