In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Standing flowering cherries

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by mrfancyplants, Mar 26, 2019.

1. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

My neighbor has five or six, not huge flowering cherries that look like they didn’t live through an over zealous trimming/pollarding. They are definitely deceased, but I’m not sure how many years... they look a little rotten.
    Should I offer to chop them down for them? Maybe offer to split the split proceeds?

T.Jeff Veal, BigPapi, leoht and 6 others like this.
  2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Sure! Nothin like having a FHC member as a neighbor! You wont know wood condition til you do.

3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Probably not a lot of wood there but it will still burn.

4. Urban Woods

Urban Woods

I don't know, not seeing the trees you're talking about I can't imagine there's much yield in cherry blossom trees to make it worth a 50/50 split. The way I see it you're doing him a little favor clearing some of his dead ornamental trees while getting some wood in the bargain. So maybe not an even split of the proceeds, but leave him with a nice pretty stack of rounds. That said, if he's a good neighbor or friend then ignore my accounting and do what you think is right to help a buddy.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  5. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

There are four... two are tiny but have some trunk. The 2ECA9265-1DB7-40CA-A1F0-0AFEA01D50C1.jpeg one in the middle is more than a project with a bow saw.

6. Urban Woods

Urban Woods

I'm not so sure they're beyond nursing back to life :rofl: :lol: Jeez not even a sapling sucker! The one in the foreground looks like someone attempted to burn it down at some point:loco: :crazy:

7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I'm not so sure there will be much good wood from that.

8. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

Not much in the one in front, but look at the tree behind it.

9. papadave

papadave

Hmm, some wood is gooder than no wood.

Gark, amateur cutter, BigPapi and 6 others like this.
  10. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

Keep in mind I am newby. I have hand tools and a wagon for carting it back to my place.:wreath:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  11. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

Alright, I have permission. I picked up a cheap new bow saw off amazon.. extra long, and I might need the length for the biggest trunk. Wish me luck.

I’m thinking this score could wrap up the first year of my three year plan. What isn’t rotten should be pretty well seasoned and would dry by fall correct? I think it has been walking dead for at least two, maybe three years now.

Is there any chance that big one could create some planks that would be worth more than the firewood? The trunk is thick and straight. I know there is a large chance of rot through the middle, but after I cut off the branches and fell the trunk, what if the trunk is thick and solid looking. Should I cut into rounds and chop away with abandon, or could a proper sawyer possibly create a windfall.

I’m not sure if I’ll be able to take care of all four in my four hour window, w my hand tools. I’ll probably work my way up from the easy ones and just see how it goes.

12. Urban Woods

Urban Woods

I think you're referring to a hand powered bow saw? If that's the case you may be in for a bit of a surprise needing to cut multiple branches. I think bow saws are ok for a few small branches to prune, but dismantling 4 hard dry cherry trees is asking a lot. You may find your blade drifting, being pinched, dulling and just exhausting your arm. Maybe I'm missing something though and don't understand your full gear set up. Anyway good luck!

As far as mill wood? I think the value would be low with the rot and looks like there will be inclusion bark. Also chances are good given the location steel is in them logs somewhere in the form of nails or old fencing.

13. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

I got the two rotten puny ones down... I think i’m going to need a chain saw for the big boys. On the plus side, i’ll have the sweetest smelling smokestack in the tri-county area. And the home owners were real appreciative to having someone take care of these dead trees. The picture isn’t close to half of the first haul. A lot off rotten stuff, but some solid wood too.

What about making some cutting boards with some cookies off the thickest trunk?

Attached Files:

T.Jeff Veal, Chaz, wildwest and 9 others like this.
  14. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

No mill possibilities that I see.. But do you know any BBQs that smoke.. Cherry is usually a favorite.

Chaz, amateur cutter, BigPapi and 5 others like this.
  15. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

The sweet aroma of cherry wood is what caught my eye. I like to soak a piece in pineapple juice and slow cook salmon on the Webber.
    I took a few branches off the big one.. much more solid.

Attached Files:

16. papadave

papadave

Make yourself a couple of smoking planks with the wood.

17. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

:BrianK:Wellllll.....don't know about planks but you may get some nicely figured chunks suitable for muzzle loading pistol stock blanks and/or regular cartridge pistol grip blanks. If you hit the jackpot you may get one or two really cool shotgun, double or single barrel, stock and forearm blanks.

Back in '77 or '78 I got about $125 for a custom set of grips for a Ruger Super Blackhawk I made from a dead plum tree I cut from a neighbor's yard. They were a beautiful color and held a course, 20 lines per inch, fleur de lis pattern pattern. Keep in mind, that was a finished product, mounted on the gun.

The dimensions and moisture content for the above mentioned blanks are available online. You would have to market your products online through stock makers forums and the like.

One thing is for sure, even if you get a dozen great blanks from the big tree you ain't gonna be able to retire early off the proceeds!:D

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    Chaz, amateur cutter, BigPapi and 6 others like this.
  18. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

I’m failing at not handling the wood too much.. I keep restacking and still have cutting to do. I also stacked the green Calgary pear outside the cover to age for a year. My stacking and organizational skills need to develop to become a true hoarder.

Attached Files:

Chaz, amateur cutter, BigPapi and 7 others like this.
  19. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

:BrianK:Patience Grasshopper! An apple doesn't develop in a day and an oak takes a hundred years to become mighty. All things develop with time and patience.
    :D

Chaz, JoeinO, amateur cutter and 7 others like this.
  20. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

Any tips for felling the remaining two? I’ve been reading up on my hinge cut and have a couple wedges.should I clear all the branches I can first even if it might change the center of gravity?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019