Got a good chunk of that monster red oak I cut a few weeks ago split up over the weekend, went to finish stacking it in the main stacking area but had to replace a worn out skid first. Stacking will commence this evening...... Had to trim the skid to fit. The wood on the left of the pic is where I'll be starting out for this winter, mostly white oak and red maple that was C/S/S three years ago......it's primo!!
Did you plasti-dip those handles on your wheelbarrow? I now put all my pallets on old bricks/ pavers so I don't have to replace as often. That also invites more critters to live UNDER the stacks however, and the dogs like to sniff them out and then dig, dig, dig....
My solution to rotten boards. Of course it might be tough to source a few hundred like you need but I'm chipping away.
With a long-term goal of a woodshed (which POSSIBLY may be started this coming summer), the skids are fine. I expect and am prepared for skid changeouts every other year or so, not a big deal....but that one in particular was probably there for 6 years or so. It was time to change it!
One thing I'll add is that the reclaimed rubber roofing top covering I use shows its merit here, no leaves or debris anywhere in the stacks, and the wood is BONE DRY. That wood was C/S/S'd during the summer of 2012.....mostly oak, some red and Norway maple in with it.
That rubber roofing is what I need to find! Looks like you still have to weigh it down but it looks much better than tarps or poly.
Yeah yeah, what he said.... I mean it's a rule on this place... pics, or it didn't happen... you a moderator your supposed to be setting a good example! There's rumors people flying over your house at 30,000 feet can see your stacks..
I would think a tree climber might benefit from one of those drones with the camera on it. It would give you another perspective of what you were getting into when you assess a tree for trimming/cutting.
I do have a GoPro but it's a PITA to set up. I'll try and start getting some "in tree" footage for you guys.... I'd love to have a drone but that's one more PITA....lol
6yrs out of a pallet is nothing to bat an eye at. I've tried them but the termites destroy them after a couple years. I've been doing old bricks with landscape timbers(termites eat those as well) and the bricks seem a bit unstable after settling for a couple years. My new idea is cross cribbing the landscape timbers every 4' with scrap ground contact rated 4x4's, gives a more even footprint and displaces weight better - kind of like a pallet. The three bay woodshed is what I'd want ultimately - mine wouldn't have to be 80' long like Scotty's
Everytime I see good deal on these on c-list they are too far a drive to justify It is the ultimate solution. I'd definitely invest in them for a woodshed