In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Squirrel vs. Hawk

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by MAF143, Nov 11, 2019.

1. MAF143

MAF143

Just last night I had mentioned in another thread about how we love living in a woods and that we have very little yard. Here's why.

Over the years we have seen many cool shows put on by nature right outside our windows. This morning we were setting on the couch and my wife says, "What's that on that limb" (she didn't have her glasses on). I couldn't see it from where I was setting. She thought it was an owl at first because it kept spreading its wings. I handed her glasses to her and then she tells me, "You gotta see this, it's a hawk with something stuck on its claw facing off with a squirrel."

I had to get up and see for myself. 20 yards out from the window on a limb of a large maple tree is this hawk, what's left of a small squirrel he was trying to finish eating. There was another small squirrel trying to rescue his "friend" from the hawk. It would try to sneak up on the hawk from under the limb and try to get the hawk to drop the dead squirrel, but the hawk was having none of that. We even got the binoculars out to get a better look. The squirrel that was trying to rescue the other one even had a wound on it's head and its fur was bloody also. After several minutes the hawk flew away to finish his breakfast in peace. The other squirrel sat there for quite a while sniffing the limb and looking over to where the hawk had flown off to.

Bad day for the squirrels, good breakfast for the hawk. Nature is amazing, beautiful, heartwarming, and harsh. We love being right in the middle of it.

While writing this, I heard a chainsaw running so I walked out on the porch to see if I could tell where it was coming from. While standing on the porch a deer jumped up and ran off from right by one of our cars that was parked on the other side of the driveway, 25 yards from the porch. Great morning to be in the middle of nature.

2. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

We heard noises outside our window in the middle of the night a few years ago. As we looked out the window an owl swooped down and picked up a rabbit. This must have been the second attempt. Both were gone in a blink of an eye.

clay shooter, MAF143, Stinny and 8 others like this.
  3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Indeed, living in the woods with nature has it's many blessings. We've had so many it would be difficult to tell all. A couple of our favorites is fawns born in the yard and an eagle landing in the yard. But so many more... WE are blessed.

MAF143, Chaz, Midwinter and 4 others like this.
  4. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Beautiful way to start the day.

5. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I heard 18-wheeler engine/jake brakes earlier today. As well as leaf blowers.

I'd take the hawk and deer anytime.

6. Midwinter

Midwinter

Chicken could take your hawk! f6vmmXd.jpg

7. yooperdave

yooperdave

A few years back, my nephew was co0ming home from H.S. He had to slow down for a deer running across the road and noticed it covered with blood. Close behind the deer was a wolf. It cought up with the deer just before the tree line along the highway, but the deer got free once more.

I'm thinking that's just about where luck ran out for the deer.

8. saewoody

saewoody

We were raising a litter of seven puppies this spring. We were down to two left to be adopted and they were playing outside in the pen together, and we looked up and noticed 2 hawks circling directly overhead. It is common to see the hawks circling, but not directly over the yard. My wife and my neighbor each picked up a puppy and the hawks flew away. That was an eye opening experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. OldJack

OldJack

A month ago a Robin was feeding under the old Apple tree and wasn't watching for Cooper's Hawks. The Hawk is on top of the Robin. Cooper's Hawk & Robin.jpg

10. MAF143

MAF143

These were taken in our front room / library at home. My wife had a cage down by the woodshed and there was a racoon in it. This hawk landed on the windowsill and was checking it out. It was checking me out too...

hawk in window 2.jpg

hawk in window 1.jpg