In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Sold my First Black Locust

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Jan 9, 2021.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I like the way you think, but dont think he'd go for it. Im thinking 2/3 the price. No splitting, stacking or seasoning on my part. I did $90 for a PU of red oak back in 2019. Normally $140 CS seasoned.

He is getting second load this morning so i will talk to him about it.

2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I get an email and this is quoted.
    "I am so tired of all the fire wood scams... Just yesterday I purchased 3 cords and after I stacked it it was barely 1.5 cords... I burn two stoves all winter long... am interested in your black locust firewood."
    Thats BAD. Id :heidi: that seller. I normally dont respond to emails but he did leave his number. Texted him and haven heard back. Turns out he had contacted me last year about the same.
    Stay tuned!

3. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Well i delivered his BL yesterday and saw what he got. Punky oak and not just the sapwood. The three cord he stacked in his shed was only cord and a half as he stated. Looks like it was old multi year wood. Lots of punky pieces. Junk wood IMO and something i wouldnt even sell.
    One of hos loads of BL. IMG_0476.JPG
    He text me last night. "Thanks,am very happy with the wood. Burning great...split one and internal MC was 15% which is almost perfect. Also i think this is the first time i have ever gotten a full cord."
    Meaning he has been shorted every time on volume.

4. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Two more cords out yesterday. One of my BL regulars burned through his barkless cord and i only had bark on left so he took it. 21 month old stack i was glad to be rid of. IMG_0469.JPG Second guy was 21 miles away and i really didnt want to go that far but he had been screwed over by other sellers. End of burning season approaching and i wanted to move it so away it went. $400 inc delivery IMG_0477.JPG
    Seeing what other sellers are selling and comparing it to my BL i should get a lot more for it. Price going up next year...$375 cord

5. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Sold 8 1/2 cords this season. Couple bark on cords left if they sell. I have a boat load for next year and still hoarding strong.

6. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

That should fund your upcoming 400 purchase

7. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

It just funded the 261 & 462 from two weeks ago! :picard: :saw: :makeitrain"

8. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Yeah, so, what’s your point? Go get a 400 already

9. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Point is the more firewood i sell, the more saws i buy. Maybe i should stop selling wood and my CAD will be cured! I DOUBT IT!

10. Fanatical1

Fanatical1

Maybe Brad hasn’t seen this yet?

11. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I watched a minute and was waiting for him to hit the ground. Why not prop the logs up or roll them to finish the cut? I seldom have the opportunity to cut in/on a "controlled area" like a log deck.

Saw is impressive of course. How much does a "bark box" increase power? Is that the same as a muffler mod?

12. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Almost perfect @ 15%? :hair: What is perfection???

13. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Dont most of you three years guys try to get it under 15%, or it really doesnt matter. Maybe i shouldve worded it better. :emb: If you saw what he had bought before the difference is night and day.
    EDIT: that was his words not mine

14. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

If that customer said "almost perfect @ 15", what does he consider perfect? Anything under 20 is gold in my book.

15. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

No clue. I hadnt checked the MC of that batch of BL but it was at least 15 months CSS under a carport.

16. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Next time assure him that it is in fact perfection. :salute:

17. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Customer from post #70 above called this week and wanted more, even more. Wants to buy two cords. Dropped one today and more next weekend. They just finished up burning the first cord and told me the fire almost never goes out. I said they did real good for wood use as it was nearly two months. IMG_0581.JPG IMG_0583.JPG

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
  18. Buzz Benton

Buzz Benton

Hi Brad,

Just wanted to say I how much I've enjoyed reading this multi-year thread, and oh how far you've come in the firewood business. No one would be surprised, because you have the customer service and the product everyone can recognize as the best. And most people are willing to pay a little more too - when they feel fairly treated. I sure like the idea of you having your moisture meter with you at all times - educating people along the way. And yeah, a cord of firewood is an enormous pile compared to what most jokers try to pass off. One curiosity I have is what with all your production why haven't you ever found a nice used dump trailer to take a whole cord at a time, saving you from two trips? I'm sure there's a good reason - I just can't figure out what it is.

Anyway, it's fun for all of us seeing an enthusiastic and rather quickly scaling a business, and watching you get repeat customers and multiple referrals. Again, no surprise that it would be you, congratulations on your success.

Buzz Benton

19. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Wow, buddy, you have been really busy this year...:tip::tip::tip:...
    Glad you are representing FHC so well.
    Great job, my friend.
    I think I would ask $300 for loads of rounds.
    Good luck and happy hoarding.

20. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Im cheap! It would take my wood profits from two years to buy a halfway decent used dump truck. If i did volumes of wood i would seriously consider it. I know another seller and he shows me his trailer and dump truck and tells me he is barely breaking even.

Most of my customers are "casual" burners and buy a half cord which i originally started out as. Other bulk customers buy a half cord as needed. When i started selling the BL last year i opted to go full cord as its for serious burners. So as of now other than the BL, only one customer wants a full cord at a time.