In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Solar generator DIY

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by jtakeman, Dec 17, 2023.

1. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

If I was 20 some odd years younger? We likely go with it. Going to look more into what rebates are available before we total give up. I hear the state/fed and utility may do a bit more cause we are old folks? I'll look at getting a few more quotes.

What stinks is we have no true south facing roof footage available. Ground mounts would be the only option. The 2 that quoted were apprehensive on doing ground mounts.

Thank you for all the info on this. Much appreciated!

bogieb and imacman like this.
  2. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Loads of Solar MPPT chargers but minimal from what I've seen have the turbine connection. I need to do some more searching.

Any links to what you have seen would be appreciated! :)

bogieb and imacman like this.
  3. imacman

imacman

I'm curious as to the reason for that.

bogieb and jtakeman like this.
  4. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I couldn't get a straight answer. Guessing the shock hazard or something. Maybe to many owners monkeying with them?

Edit: Found this yadda yadda. One more step, One more inspection to deal with. I guess they might not want to do the extra bits needed.

NOTE: If you’re installing a ground-mounted array, you may need an additional inspection by a soils/structural engineer to confirm soil density.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
    imacman and bogieb like this.
  5. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Three ya go pick the wind for extra credit.

imacman, bogieb and jtakeman like this.
  6. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

That 1 track mind again.:doh:

7. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

With the average windy days we get, I might actually have a better chance to keep the batteries topped off?

I gotz ta upgrade my weather station so I can monitor the wind!

imacman and bogieb like this.
  8. Warner

Warner

Curious as all towns in NH seem to do things differently, did your property tax increase due to the added value of the array?

9. bogieb

bogieb

My town has a property tax exemption for up to $30,000. That exemption has to be actively applied for and is a lifetime exemption instead of having to apply yearly. I'm pretty sure we voted that in at town meeting sometime since I've been in this town (10 years). But I could be remembering voting it in at my previous town.

My solar array was assessed at $25,400. interestingly, they have given me all $30k in exemption. That total applied exemption might have arisen because they originally tried to assess me on a 14.8kw (instead of 8 kw) system at an increase of $42,800. When I went to fight it with all my evidence (fortunately I looked at the tax card before the bill came out), they tried to tell me it was a wash with the $30k exemption. When I pointed out that it wasn't (because, math), I made them give me the name of the assessor so I could call them.

I personally discussed the issue on the phone with them then sent the assessor all my evidence of the initial permitted array (at 8kw), the town inspector sign off of the array at 8kw, the pictures of all 3 sides of the roof, and marked up tax card with arrows and explanations :D , they came out to see that, yep, it was on 20 panels and not 37 panels. That is why I think that full $30k exemption is an artifact left over and if they can't do basic tax stuff, then I'm not going to point out that they still have errors. It will eventually catch up anyway.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2023
    imacman and jtakeman like this.
  10. Warner

Warner

Gotta take a win when you can get one with the tax man. We do the same here but I believe the amount is $25,000.

bogieb, imacman and jtakeman like this.
  11. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Neat they give you a break, I have to see if that is something our town also does?

bogieb, imacman and FarmerJ like this.
  12. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

Remind me in a couple days…

my mind is a mud pit with overload and right now I’m just trying to survive until 12/26.

I’ve seen a couple of them and I’ve started putting together a 3-prong power system, Wind/ solar/ generator, and I’ve got one coming together that will be based on a 4kw pure sine inverter, MPPT controller, 2.4kw solar array and a 1.2 kw wind generator with a 5kw propane backup.

batteries are up in the air yet as I don’t want them near the main house. Should anything happen to them, I want the storage area to not threaten anything but the batteries themselves. I’m leaning towards an AGM type because they will still function at below freezing temps without heat.

bogieb, jtakeman and imacman like this.
  13. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Will do, Luv to picks of your setup when you get a minute.

I've already started ordering stuff. Got the load center with the genny interlock on the way. Breakers, plugs, outlets and wire. Found a cheap cart on wheels that should be good for the Inverter and battery storage. No worry for mine because its going in the shed next to the garage. I'm likely to also use AGM's as well if not, Maybe LifeP04's. I have to keep an eye on temps before I totally decide. LifeP04's with heat are still way too pricey. I might use the dump for the wind turbine as a heater for the batteries?? Just thoughts for now!! The garage gen will definitely have extra power to spare.

The house gen will likely be LifeP04's for sure. No worries with freeze and I think I trust them inside more than SLA/AGM due to stinky vapors.

I have to check with my electrical buddy about the load center inside the house. I want the main panel to have the genny interlock but also want a sub panels with a manual interlock I can use to switch between the mains and the solar gen. He's popping over after xmas for a drink and we will see what he thinks. I don't see anything in code saying you can't have 2 interlocks?

I'll feed the Inverter from the main's and the sub panel from the genny. If there an issue with the gen, I can just shut it off and switch the manual breaker back to mains on the sub panel.

imacman, bogieb and FarmerJ like this.
  14. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

Check out Missouri Wind.

they keep coming up as the best resource

15. bogieb

bogieb

Lifepo4's are tricky under about freezing without a heater. Some you can still use to a slightly lower temp, but not charge. Others are only down to 35* for everything. Plus, they don't like to get too hot so anyone down south needs to be aware. If you are going to keep them in an outbuilding anyway, you might as well go for cheaper and more temperature tolerant batteries is my thought.

Lifepo 4's also seem to have a balancing act. Or at least the portable pre-packaged one's like Bluetti and Ecoflow do - I assume that is a thing for just the battery itself. Seems stupid to have to totally drain and recharge a battery every 1-3 months and hope that keeps it balanced so it will fully charge, and you can actually use the full capacity. Don't get me wrong, I like my power stations (I have 2 Bluetti and an EF), but they require more maintenance than I was aware of when I bought my first one. I don't know if that is a thing for other types of batteries.

imacman, gbreda and jtakeman like this.
  16. gbreda

gbreda

Lots of good info here. I wouldnt have thought that the batteries would be temperamental but it makes sense after reading these posts.

bogieb, imacman and jtakeman like this.
  17. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Some actually have heaters built into their case which allows use in freezing temps.

Weird Bluetti and Ecoflow have to be discharged and recharged. The ones I have are not saying they have to, But they are boat trolling motor batteries which get drained(not completely) and recharged after every use. They do require a special charge cycle compared to the SLA/AGM batteries we used to use.

I have so much more research to do. This is all new to me! :)

bogieb, gbreda and imacman like this.
  18. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

What got me turned off on Lithium anything is watching Will Prowess on YouTube.

his reviews included dismantling batteries and looking at the “heated batteries” as well as the various Battery Management Systems (BMS) boards.

The lead acids, while sure not truly maintenance free, sure don’t have the difficulty Lithium’s do.

bogieb, jtakeman and imacman like this.
  19. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

20. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

Pretty sure I live where wind is an option.

these are the wind farm planned to be built in 2025. There’s already like 90 within 20 miles of here.

the little blue dot in the middle is where I’ll be in the midst of those dragons for Don Quixote.

IMG_7866.jpeg