In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

So you wanted to change your spark plugs?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by J. Dirt, Feb 12, 2018.

1. blacksmith

blacksmith

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:! What did you do then?:sherlock:

2. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

Busted out the hole saw of course!! Went with the big one so there was plenty of wiggle room through the wall :eek:

Horkn, Chaz, brenndatomu and 3 others like this.
  3. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Perfect redneck answer!

Horkn, Chaz, brenndatomu and 2 others like this.
  4. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

Thank you, thank you very much !:D

5. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Glad you took it right it was meant as a compliment

brenndatomu, J. Dirt and blacksmith like this.
  6. blacksmith

blacksmith

Sooo what did you do to fix the hole? Fit it back in and silicone where the drill bit and hole saw cut?

Horkn, brenndatomu and J. Dirt like this.
  7. Boomstick

Boomstick Banned

They asked for it.
    Ford Motor Co. Does U-turn on Bailouts - FactCheck.org
    Googling" atvm Ford "brings department of energy... and wikipedia is unless and second or third hand sourcing but has tidbits.
    Articles also note Fords CEO asked and lobbied for the governments assistance.
    There is information pertaining to funding the ecoboost and conditions of the interest free (.25%) loan which from what I gather was %25 fuel efficiency gain the "loan" is still outstanding.
    I think double injection is kind of a band aid. It eliminates several problems but like you said is costly and a cluster.
    The real reason for it besides dirty valves is low speed knock. I still think it's directly correlated to Ford's focus RS blowing head gaskets. Knock can errode head gaskets on the RS tuning/enthusiast forum low speed knock was talked about quite a bit.

A good article for direct injection, the article talks about metals in the oil potentially causing low speed knock..I thought it was pretty cool work.
    http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/oil-composition-direct-injection-low-speed-knock/

8. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

Even better put some foam on it and used a big one of these to hold it and make it removable for next time! D2DBD2C4-C184-4375-ABB5-CDAE5CDF5FF6.gif

blacksmith, Horkn, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  9. Horkn

Horkn

You are remembering correctly. I certainly won't forget that. I'm sure someone at Ford asked to partake in the "free money" but the fact that they didn't take it means something.

The focus RS has had some issues with head gaskets because the incorrect gaskets were installed. It was a vendor problem mislabelling/ packaging the gaskets. The RS has a different block than the 2.3 ecoboost in other Ford's. While the gasket fits, the coolant passages are different.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    blacksmith and brenndatomu like this.
  10. blacksmith

blacksmith

Yeah saying that you park in the exact same spot! If not here comes hole #2 :rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:!

11. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Time for the tennis ball hangin from the ceiling trick...;)
    :rofl: :lol:

12. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

Nailed it!!

blacksmith and Horkn like this.
  13. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Update:
    Finally got a look at things today...the miss was getting pretty bad, I think it was through with being ignored!
    It never did turn the CEL on...so no code from my scanner...but I tried my brothers Superchip tuner and it showed P0306 (miss on #6) Pulled the coil off and found the spark plug well half full of coolant. Blew it out and it runs better but not perfect...might need a new coil or boot. From what I have read about this, the coolant source could be anything from a loose hose to a cracked intake...think I'll run it a bit more, see if I can track down this leak...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    J. Dirt likes this.
  14. ironpony

ironpony

well that did not work.........

J. Dirt likes this.
  15. bocefus78

bocefus78

My buddies 5.4 had the same plug hole full of coolant and miss. Iirc It was the intake gasket leaking. Plastic intake manifold? Seems like I remember something wrong with It also?

Horkn, J. Dirt and brenndatomu like this.
  16. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

?
    Did you confuse me with the OP? I was just following up on my earlier comment here...

Horkn and J. Dirt like this.
  17. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Yeah it sounds like that is a possibility too.
    Yes plastic...and I'm not so sure it is the factory intake...from what I'm reading the factory intake has threaded metal inserts for the coil hold down bolts (maybe J. Dirt can confirm?) mine has something like a wood screw that is just self tapped right into the intake...which is apparently something that Dorman does on their aftermarket replacement intake

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    Horkn and J. Dirt like this.
  18. Warner

Warner

Factory intakes have the thread inserts. The coolant leak should be pretty easily tracked down during a pressure test. Most likely the intake gasket.

Horkn, brenndatomu and J. Dirt like this.
  19. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

I was trying to reply to this last night and couldn’t even get on the site !! Thought my FHC days were over!!!:faint:

Anyhow..... The intakes are plastic. Now on my engine (2006) the coils bolt down to the head. The difference I’m thinking with your engine is the intake and coolant crossover are one piece. On mine they are two separate pieces the intake is plastic with its own gaskets and bolts then the coolant pipe is aluminum and in front of it with its own gaskets and bolts. I’m guessing this was an update to try and eliminate the coolant leakage trouble. I’ve heard of the cracked one piece set ups leading to coolant going places it shouldn’t.
    brenndatomu ive still got my original coils If you have any interest in trying them for replacement.

Horkn and brenndatomu like this.
  20. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

You can see the coils bolted down on the left and not on the right. As well as the intake and coolant ports. 6BA5A7C0-4025-4908-A509-9B4887627F3B.jpeg Here’s a shot with the intake back on as well as the coolant pipe. A05A6790-C7E5-4ADB-A477-F988D2740E04.jpeg

Horkn and brenndatomu like this.