In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

So my teenager got a license!

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Canadian border VT, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Stinny

Stinny

I bet Liz is having a ball with her new driving freedom... no matter the co$t$. Congrats to her. From your description of her, driving must be a piece of cake. Best of luck to her... and you... ;)

2. Deer Meadow Farm

Deer Meadow Farm

We just went through this a couple of years ago with our daughter. Talk to your insurance. If your daughter gets good grades she may be eligible for a discount. Being a member of AAA also helps for discounts. We added her to our account right away. There were a couple of other things too but I can't remember them....

It's good that you've had her drive your tractor. Our daughter did as well and we had her driving the Polaris Ranger at a young age too. We used to do a lot more hay than we do now and when she was younger she could wrestle bales very long so we had her drive the trucks in the field since she was 11. The more exposure to driving early helps in my opinion. That way, once the kid is on the road they don't have to worry/think about the operation of the vehicle, they can focus on all the other idiots on the road.

3. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

We may have wrestled a few hay bales ourselves Deer Meadow Farm, a friend about hour away; has horses goats etc in a no profit hobby farm. I guess she averages 2,000 bales a year about 40#’s

4. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

X2 ^^

5. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

When my boys got to the age of licensing they had their permit at 14 and license at 16. Iowa, farm state.

6. Erik B

Erik B

Sounds like I get the mean dad award. We gave our two boys the option of 4 years at a state college or a new car when they graduated from high school. They both opted for college. We helped them get their first car when they were half way thru their senior year of college. We paid for the first 6 months of insurance and after that they have been on their own. They saved up money for the car when they were working during the summers. It was a little more driving for us but I believe it was worth it. They could use the family car when they were home from school if I didn't need it.

7. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

That’s not mean, that’s pretty fair. :salute:

8. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Sounds Fair Erik B mine is going to trade training in high school, she’s been accepted into dental assisting, they only accept 24 juniors into class. She wants trade she can take anywhere and likes the about 30 hours work week as standard instead of 50+ like most trades,,

our deal on college is simple, go to school get all grants / awards you can.. Upon graduation, Debt is divided by number of classes. We pay 100% of debt for A and 80% for B. I don’t pay for average or below! If I approve of school choice..

In short, we want to help, but a hand up not hand out..

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  9. bogieb

bogieb

That is not mean. I got booted out the door at 18. Well, to be fair, not until a couple of months later since it was still during the school year. I had a car that my sister passed down to me after mom gave her a newer car for her 21st birthday. At almost 200k miles, the car sometimes worked (and a lot of times I walked) and only had 3/4 of its floorboard. I literally lived in that thing for a while.

10. bogieb

bogieb

Holy cow, that is a lot!

11. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Primary driver, Might be able to argue later but 3 drivers 3 cars. Big thing is mileage; she wants to drive school, then tech sports etc etc. 375 miles minimum a week. that’s why has to be primary.

If she took school bus for free and drop mileage to 125 a week. it would be $150 a month her choices..

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  12. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Equality?

Chvymn99, T.Jeff Veal, Ron T and 7 others like this.
  13. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

My two boys are 19 and 21. The younger one is a gear head. He wrecked two cars and had a pretty good relationship with the local judge. He always took responsibility for his actions which went a long way with the judge. After the first wreck we removed him from our insurance and he is taking care of it on his own.
    He graduated this year with an Associates degree from a local college and a high school diploma. He has a lawn care business that he owns and operates. He is on his 12th car now. He trades, buys and flips cars and does pretty good at it. I take pride watching him work on cars that he bought for $850 plus $200 worth of parts then sell it for $2500.
    Both boys take care of the insurance and maintenance costs for their own cars. I did buy tires for them last year, they are working hard and taking care of adult stuff. I’ll help out sometimes.

14. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I just was talking to Liz. She is a wonderful girl with a good head on her shoulders. Her parents can be very proud and I am too. I am known as grandpa Dennis. Love that girl and her parents too.

15. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Nope, not mean. Pur daughter didn't get a car until her senior yr in college. Really helped her stay focused on what she was in college for. Our son didn't drive in high school, voc-tech school either. He drives over about half the state of GA now, he works with a business/home security company, install/maintain fire, alarm, camera systems...

16. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Congratulations to Liz on a great accomplishment.

17. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

So we had a house guest, and dad was distracted by MRI appointments etc. Liz is getting ready to go visit friends..
    Registration is expired on her car.. Dad told her to check it and when she went to DMV to get license.. she “forgot”... last Monday :whistle:

Your not driving an unregistered vehicle...

I let her sweat it for an hour or 2...
    Then told her to go online..

her comments;
    I’m soo glad dad has an office and old school tech like a printer with Ink & paper
    Adulting is hard and expensive (additional $76)

Dad is :D Maybe it was mean to make her sweat it BUT, I don’t care I got the big hug and thanks daddy :thumbs: before she left!

18. Erik B

Erik B

Experience is the best teacher Canadian border VT .Way to go:thumbs::handshake:

19. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Life lessons are the best to teach and learn. Good job!

20. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Lesson well taught I do believe.

bogieb and T.Jeff Veal like this.