In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

So I'm about to score a cord of Douglas Fir for $263 during the height of the season.

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by dotman17, Dec 13, 2017.

1. dotman17

dotman17

Coastal Farm and Garden has a $155 per half cord on sale for an additional 15% pre-tax. That's $310 a cord plus $46.50 off or $263+. Since I just bought a new wood stove to compliment my pellet stove and didn't think I'd be burning as much this year -- I believe this is a good deal considering it's in season. I called other places and discovered, for example, $300 for a half cord of Tamarack to be delivered. So I'm asking here if you guys think this is a good deal? My friend who is an avid wood burner says it's market price or lower (up here in the PNW) before I told him about the extra 15% off. Opinions?

FatBoy85, TurboDiesel and Woodslave like this.
  2. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

whats the moisture content, are they advertising it as seasoned/ready to burn?

MikeInMa and TurboDiesel like this.
  3. Woodslave

Woodslave

Never having burnt either of the woods that you are buying, don't know much about value and btu's of those woods. I have areas on my property where I cut Tamarack, never thought of burning any. I mainly use it for lumber, 4x4 and 6x6 posts. Seems pretty rot resistant. If that's the going prices in your area and you don't have much choice unless you buy green wood a little cheaper and get it ready for a few years down the road

4. Woodslave

Woodslave

$300 for a half cord of Tamarack ? I read that correctly WOW

tamarack and WeldrDave like this.
  5. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

This is really all that matters.

Good reassurance !

To us easterners, it will sound high, but if it keeps you warm or warmer than you were before, then yes, its a good deal.

As Dave mentioned, 'seasoned' is key.
    Buy enough now to get you through next year. Then you will be sure to have good seasoned wood for next heating season. :yes:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    Woodslave and LongShot like this.
  6. bushpilot

bushpilot

That is high market (delivered) in Eastern WA.

7. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Yep It’s likely since we’re having this cold blast but after tomorrow it will be so so then back to cold. I live here in WA too and this is when the prices start to climb. Hopefully you can get this now and find some time to scrounge yourself, leave this price in the dust! So much wood out here to not take advantage of it. I’m probably nearing my first cord. Been burning since mid October too.

dotman17 likes this.
  8. bushpilot

bushpilot

Tamarack is about the highest BTU wood we get, but it is not THAT much better than Douglas Fir.

9. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I don’t think Ive either had any tamarack to burn before. Doug fir coals well enough for a good restart but catching it in time if you’re not home can be iffy. Sean up in BC burns a lot of it from what I hear, good stuff.

10. dotman17

dotman17

Yeah, you guys have it good over there.

11. dotman17

dotman17

I appreciate the feedback you guys. I probably will go ahead and get it because I think it's probably reasonable at this time of year. I repeat, my pellet stove is wonderful and this wood burning is totally optional -- sort of. It's more of supplemental heat but we do take the pellet stove offline for the weekends and just burn wood. There's just something about the snap, crackle, pop of a good fire that is so enjoyable -- mesmerizing. I think it's inherent in our genes. Plus my old lady likes it warmer in the areas she most frequents -- and the wood stove is in her domain.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    FatBoy85, tamarack, Midwinter and 2 others like this.
  12. dotman17

dotman17

Ok, I just called them back and spoke to a different person @Coastal. It would now appear that it's not just Douglas Fir but a mixture of DF and Western Hemlock. What I know about DF is it makes an insanely great wood pellet and I hear that for a softer wood it makes a good wood burn as well. However, I've also heard WH is not very desirable so this may not be a great deal -- but it's all dry and ready to burn. I just don't know where I'm going to find dry wood in the middle of December -- on the west side of the Cascade Mountains -- for anything better.

Thoughts?

13. Woodslave

Woodslave

Thanks for the info, I never would have thought about burning Tamarack

dotman17, Camber and tamarack like this.
  14. Woodslave

Woodslave

What other sources of heat do you have available, oil, propane, electric coal. I did read that you have a pellet stove right. Sorry you don't live closer, I'd of been glad to help you out with some wood

Stephiedoll likes this.
  15. dotman17

dotman17

16. Woodslave

Woodslave

Different than what I'm used too, what kind of wood is that. Face cord of good hard wood around here delivered $55-$75

Ou812 likes this.
  17. dotman17

dotman17

It's dry
    I have a Harman i52 insert pellet stove that I love. Heats the whole house cheaply. So I don't really need the wood to stay warm or save cash. In fact, buying wood is actually setting me back some if I don't burn exclusively with the wood stove. But for reasons mentioned, we find we are really enjoying the wood stove. I'm on the grid out here so electrical furnace or my pellet stove. The latter saves me about $200 a month during the burning season.

Woodslave likes this.
  18. dotman17

dotman17

I'm sure it's recycled manufactured wood. It's a mix of Douglas Fir and Western Hemlock.

19. dotman17

dotman17

Ahem. $55-$75?? Green? Dry? Egad. I'm jealous. Is this an in season price?

20. dotman17

dotman17

I have about a cord or two of Western Cedar that I had to have cut down in my backyard in late summer. But I need to split, cut it as well as season it -- so I just need to get through this winter.