In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

So begins the trailer rebuild.

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Pallet Pete, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

Now that cuts about a thousand times better!

075943D3-11BC-481B-A81F-ED54A72A3CD0.jpeg

basod, Gasifier, Horkn and 10 others like this.
  2. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

For your springs, what's the eye-to-eye measure and free arch?

3. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

34 7/8” center to center of the eye. There bigguns.

4. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

10 leaf, about 2-1/2" thick pack, yeah? Guess on capacity? I'm wondering if they were automotive springs converted for trailer use.

5. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

1 3/4” wide 3” stack

6. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

I'll ask around. I'm a Rigid dealer, may be able to them to you at cost if they have them.

Horkn, savemoney, brenndatomu and 3 others like this.
  7. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

Finding nothing longer than 30" c-c. May think about cutting off the old mounts and add new ones. Might save you some grief.
    EDIT- also try- truckspring.com- out of Saginaw.

Horkn, savemoney, brenndatomu and 4 others like this.
  8. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

Thanks you Bk!

I have cut them off I was trying to take the springs apart and repair them but now I’m thinking about new ones after today’s searching being a failure however nothing I have found even comes close to the capacity these had.

Gasifier, Horkn, brenndatomu and 2 others like this.
  9. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

-Truckspring.com- part # MTS-055. 8 leaf, #4K rating each, 26" C-C

Horkn, brenndatomu, chipper1 and 2 others like this.
  10. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

Those look pretty good! I’ll have to call them Monday and compare with the spring shop. I already emailed them pictures and measurements for the parts to rebuild the ones I have. State spring has a forge they make all the parts on.

Just do NOT want to be on a waiting list so those 4000lb springs might be it....

Gasifier, Horkn, savemoney and 4 others like this.
  11. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

Thanks BK

Is Rigid a trailer brand? Most of what we have near us is Legend trailers.

12. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

Rigid is primarily a hitch manufacturer. But they do trailer stuff also, but no springs that you need (I logged on and checked). Redneck is another trailer parts supplier, I did not check them out though I do have an account with them also.
    Those "truckspring" springs look hella-stout. They should be right at the 3" thickness you currently have, but that's not critical. The mounts are. Being as they're shorter, you may not have to cut off the existing mounts, just add new ones in between them. Since your channel frame is legs-out, I'd add a few web stiffeners at the mounting points for strength.
    I have ideas about your strap points also, based on your frame design. But first things first. It's looking good. :yes:
    edit- www.rockwellamerican.com- another one to check out, I forgot about those guys.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  13. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

The axle is being moved back about 12" because it was dead center before so whatever the springs are they are getting moved and new mounts are getting welded in. I know what web stiffeners in construction are is that the same concept for welding?

Horkn, chipper1 and Beetle-Kill like this.
  14. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

Pretty much. In commercial construction, you're dealing with fixed point loads. For a trailer, you have to think about flex. So, triangulation of your stiffeners helps.
    Think about a "W", with the lower points being above the mount ends. They can spread a bit for ease of install, but it makes a strong reinforcement. 3/16 or 1/4 plate is all you need. I like 3/8.....'cause that's just me. :rofl: :lol:

Horkn, brenndatomu and chipper1 like this.
  15. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

Just a thought. A 6 lug axle is normally rated for 5K. , max. What is that axle rated at? It may help with the spring search.

16. shaggy wood dump hoarder

shaggy wood dump hoarder

My vote is find the springs you need and put new shackles and mounts on to fit. Super easy to do .
    Look up a few videos on YouTube for locations on the axle and the process of mounting everything, there's a good bit that goes into mounting the springs and axle, nothing complicated really, just takes time and lots of double checking. Measure your center to center on your spring eyes, and put your mounts 1/8 narrower than that, your shackle should be tilted back with the spring installed. If your shackle is straight down, your springs can not do their job. Lots of home-made trailers don't even have shackles, making springs entirely useless.
    Don't forget to pull measurements to the hitch to keep it going down the road straight.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  17. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

That’s the problem I don’t know. The last two trailers I built I ordered a new axle for one and the other had a good axle with tag that was that but this one is in good shape however the tag is long gone....

The biggest issue is that standards change so what was a standard 7 years ago ( example ) isn’t standard now. The last one I made was 6 lug 7000 lb capacity with a 25 year old axle.

I’m going to pull a hub today and get the bearing number that should allow me to figure it out.

18. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

This one is MUCH older than 7 years buy the way..

Horkn, chipper1 and leoht like this.
  19. leoht

leoht

Pallet Pete, I found these 5500 lb 10 leaf springs, but unfortunately they are in Melbourne Australia. Shipping may be more than the springs!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

Well this time around it wasnt planned the trailer just got to the point I cant use it anymore. Unfortunately it isnt budgeted :makeitrain"that is rare around this house we budget everything. I have to have it for the upcoming bathroom remodel and firewood cutting this year. Talk about a pain...

I have a lot of scrap laying around to to most of what needs done except the tailgate and deck so it is affordable to buy new springs but if State spring can cast a couple new leafs cheap I can rebuild what I have cheap. We are defiantly going to need new hangers but thats not a big deal as long as I can get them heavy enough if not ill weld some up.

This will be my third trailer the first one I really screwed up the hangers and they went the wrong way under weight. I had to cut them off and re weld them correctly. Really stupid move on my part.