In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

So begins the attic insulation

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Pallet Pete, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

That SUCKED! Took Half the day fish those two wires through the wall but there there now.. It looks like we can run more than first thought but it’s gonna take most of a day for each section.... :picard:I do wiring for my job among other things and this makes me glad building codes are a thing now:rofl: :lol:

The walls don’t have any semblance of uniformity in them. We where about to give up when I cracked a beer and sat there looking at the hole then took one last shot at getting the fish tape through and it finally went through the wall...

There’s 3 yes 3! Horizontal boards between the door and window as well as 4 vertical boards... :loco: :crazy: NOT evenly spaced out at all...

image.jpg

Chvymn99, Maina, papadave and 6 others like this.
  2. billb3

billb3

I used to fish wire.

As much as I hate painting, that wall would probably be new sheetrock now.

Maina, papadave, bogieb and 2 others like this.
  3. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

Someday that’s a whole nother barrel of problems...

4. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I can't hardly wait, at some point we are taking down the wall that separates the tiny old bathroom and and tiny utility room. The wiring that's been fished so far is, um, unusual and odd and no where near building codes these days (not that anything is inspected out here, but OMG ).

Maina, Pallet Pete, papadave and 3 others like this.
  5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Hey Pallet Pete , on your pro foam gun, does the can always need to remain in its normal vertical inverted position, or will it work on its side, or even partially upside down? (that is, with the foam can hanging down below the gun)

Pallet Pete, papadave and bogieb like this.
  6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

So here we are 4 days later...aaaaand...nuttin.
    Dunno?
    Top secret?
    Take a long walk off a short pier?
    :whistle:
    ;)
    :rofl: :lol:
    Just Funnin whicha Pallet Pete :wacky:
    I'm sure you just missed my post.

In other news...
    I was working on the attic insulation today...Mr. Murphy decided to help! :hair:
    I was spray foaming around some polyiso foam insulation baffles I cut to block off the floor joist bays that run under my second story bedroom (typical cape cod) I decided to not wear gloves because I was gonna be real careful :whistle: Sometime after I started with a new can of foam, I realized that the nozzle had a crack in it and it was slowing covering my hand in a huge foam blob. I decided to just keep going until the can was done and then clean up since I was already really gooed up. Fortunately my wife was home and knew right where her nail polish remover (acetone) was so I could clean this crap of my hand before it set up and had to be sanded off! Pointer and middle fingers were completely covered in foam! Only used 1/3 of the bottle of acetone to get it off :whistle:
    So on the next can I figured I better wear latex gloves...and not a errant drop of foam anywhere to be found for the rest of the job...figures. o_O

7. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

The pier attacked me! That’s a thing right?:whistle:

Sorry about that I did miss the question...

I’m actually in the middle of a wiring nightmare. One guy can’t do it alone so I’m waiting for a friend to come help pull it all. The wiring makes no sense at all. It’s a complete PITA to get through the walls in this house :wacky:

The cans can be upside down when they are full but that’s actually right side up which is actually upside down by design. That’s a mouthful:rofl: :lol: It will act like a regular can after a little bit

Honestly I find the reason I like it so much is the lifespan and control it gives. The ability to regulate how much is used is absolutely awesome. The ability to close the gun and walk away for a few days open it again and go to town is worth it to me...

Stephiedoll, milleo, wildwest and 2 others like this.
  8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

So it wouldn't work to seal the polyios baffles between the roof trusses then because I will be right up against the roof basically...no room for that can sticking up the way they do...I kinda figured that was gonna be your answer.
    Some regular aerosol cans of expanding foam will work in any position...I didn't know if there were pro cans like that too?
    I'm thinking of trying putting a long plastic tube extension (ice maker line?) on one of those "any position" cans (how do they do that anyways?!) see if that will work...I've read of other people doing it supposedly.
    I need to get up in there 3+ feet. (this is where the ceiling is right up against the roof joist above the knee walls)
    My plan is this...I have 2" foam panels cut to slide up between the joist...I'm gonna route a groove down each side of the them (think the female side of a tongue and groove board) then slide my extended spray foam tube up into the groove, then start backing out, foaming along the way.
    What y'all think? Crazy? Genius? Redneck? :D

wildwest and Pallet Pete like this.
  9. ironpony

ironpony

wackadoodle...............I think it is going to drive you crazier trying to get the line in the groove all the way up but then again it might just work perfectly. Keep us posted.

milleo, wildwest, bogieb and 2 others like this.
  10. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I think it will push in pretty easy...I will lay the tubing out straight for a couple days so the coiled memory goes out of it.
    About the only issue I thought of is the foam continuing to ooze out the end of the tubing as I'm shoving it in the next groove...sounds messy. o_O

wildwest, bogieb and Pallet Pete like this.
  11. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

I cant see why your plan wouldn't work but then Im not a professional builder.

Crazy as this sounds it works fabulous on foam board for cutting the size you need and grooving it a good old table saw. That sounded like a terrible idea until I did it and it works great! We even used a stacked dado to groove them it was fast and clean on 2" pink foam.

The any direction cans are out there but nobody around me has them:whistle: We saw them when we where planning this attic job last year but I cant find them around me or remember where I saw them at now.

I would try heating the line up in hot water to soften it then shove it over the straw rather than inside the straw. The foam should not expand until it hits the air so I would think you could get away with a foot or two of hose. Ill bet electrical tape is plenty strong enough to hold the line on hose. The downside is that by adding the hose there might be a little left in the can at the end because the pressure left in the can may not be enough to push through the longer hose.

wildwest, bogieb and brenndatomu like this.
  12. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

Ill try something tomorrow too. I was told if you shake the can up good before use it will spray any direction BUT I have not tried it yet....

13. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

The Great Stuff brand "Gaps and Cracks" (red can) is all position I believe...and available about anywhere. This is the one I plan on using...

wildwest and bogieb like this.
  14. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Great tip! :thumbs:
    I was trying to figure out the best way to carve those grooves in...table saw/dado blade it is! I bet it makes a huge foam "dust" mess...

wildwest, Pallet Pete and bogieb like this.
  15. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

Check this out!!

16. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

It definitely makes a mess. I am going to look for those Bosch blades now! From the video above.

wildwest and bogieb like this.
  17. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I've actually been using an insulation knife to cut it...works pretty darn well!
    [​IMG]

18. ironpony

ironpony

set up a vacuum to suck in the dust, you will be finding it in places you did not know you had for weeks.

19. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Looks like time to stock up for muh lil project...
    upload_2018-3-4_14-39-45.png

20. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

Buy it allllllll!!!!:thumbs::thumbs:

papadave, bogieb and brenndatomu like this.