In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Smoked Pork Butt

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by CoachSchaller, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Bubba

Bubba

Hi Guys, Ya'll need to check out a UDS, I built one and it works very good at holding temperature. I over killed mine, but if you google UDS you can find a simple build that's true to the concept. You should be able to build a "true to concept" one in a weekend. I've cooked Boston Butt and spare ribs so far, going for beef brisket this weekend.
    All the best!

Attached Files:

savemoney, WeldrDave, milleo and 3 others like this.
  2. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

Take Turbo Diesel's advice regarding foiling butts.:salute:

A very easy smoker to use is the Weber Smokey Mountain. I have the 18.5" and 22.5" for bigger cooks. Very easy to maintain temps for extended cooks.

Forget about water pans and just foil the pan or deflector.

I foil after 2 hours since the smoke ring is set by that point. Then shoot for 205 degrees, a little hotter smoker temp of 275 will just get things done faster.

3. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

good point
    275 is the high limit for me. I usually cook butts about 10 hours and they will start to turn black and hard on the bottom, even at 275

Firewood Bandit likes this.
  4. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

I'd have to look at my notes but it seems like I am achieving 205 internal temp in closer to 6 hours. The foiling helps a lot and I also turn the meat over and switch from bottom to top rack if using both so all gets about the same amount of heat.

TurboDiesel likes this.
  5. Bubba

Bubba

Do yall use a drip pan or let the grease drip into the fire?
    I was using the temp of 160 as the time to foil, Bandit, how does the compare with the 2 hours? I'm having a great time learning, should be cutting wood, but slow cooking with a cold beer is more fun.

Firewood Bandit and TurboDiesel like this.
  6. papadave

papadave

Well, this will be a first for me, as I've never had pork butt, but I bought one today, and now have to decide how it gets cooked.
    Too cold out to put it on the grill. No smoker.
    Since this was my wife's idea, maybe she has a plan for cooking method.

Horkn likes this.
  7. Elderthewelder

Elderthewelder

Can always do it in a slow cooker or even in the oven if you have to

Horkn and papadave like this.
  8. papadave

papadave

Ok, good to know. Thought it might do well in the slow cooker.

Horkn likes this.
  9. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Put a couple wood chips in a foil envelope and cut a slit in the top of the foil to let the smoke out. Turn the exhaust fan on over the stove/oven
    Put it in the oven at 250 uncovered. As long as you don't mind a little smoke smell in the house

Horkn and papadave like this.
  10. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

The WSM has a water pan that I leave dry and just foil to aid in clean up. I generally put a tin foil pan inside to catch the grease. This way the water pan is actually just a heat deflector.

After 2 hours the internal temp will be no where near 160. The foiling really helps get through the "stall" much quicker.

Turbo Diesel is correct that achieving the 200-205 degree internal temp is essential in converting fibrous, (tough connective tissue) collagen to tender moisturizing goodness.

Horkn and Bubba like this.
  11. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I only foil when the meat is done and I take it out of the cooker to rest

Matt Fine and Bubba like this.
  12. Bubba

Bubba

Thanks to you both, Bandit and Diesel, two different methods. And to PapaDave, I'm not sure there is any way to cook Butt that's not good, we cook for large groups with four crock pots.. But the smoked, well that is something special as to the flavor. Never to old to learn.

papadave and TurboDiesel like this.
  13. Elderthewelder

Elderthewelder

Yep, sometimes "the stall" can last for hours and be very annoying thus tempting you to turn up the temp on your grill. just let it be and have a little patience and do not turn up the heat on your grill/smoker. You can always apply the "Texas Crutch", foil the butt and add a little apple juice to speed things up, I just ride it out without foiling

here is some goo reading on the stall and the texas crutch
    amazingribs.com

yep, I do the same and you can also you can foil any meats and wrap and place in a cooler with towels or newspaper for many hours and they well stay plenty warm if by chance your meat finished up way too early

savemoney and Matt Fine like this.
  14. redneckdan

redneckdan

When it's too cold to bbq outside we do puerco pibil in the oven at home. Good chit.

15. Bubba

Bubba

I'll be trying beef brisket next week in the UDS, plus three Butts after that. Will be feeding about 30 for a couple of days. A normal man, still green on slow cooking would sweating this challenge, but I'm feeling no pressure, remember Hop Sing on Bonanza?
    He was feeding a captive audience and would slap you up side the head if you complained. That's my audience, mostly men and being fed free food? I'm not looking for any complaints. lol

TurboDiesel likes this.
  16. swags

swags Moderator

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

Horkn likes this.
  17. Matt Fine

Matt Fine

My opinion is that foil is not a crutch. Failing to use it is poor technique.

I like to do pork shoulders unwrapped for 8-10 hours and then remove from the smoker, wrap in foil and let them finish in a cooler for 2-4 hours. The resting time allows the connective tissues to break down and gives a moister easier to pull end product.

No need to stick a thermometer in them until the very end, and even then, I rely on texture and feel more that temp. If you don't stick a thermometer in it too early, you don't know when it is stalling and you don't need to. No need to rush the stall or do anything other than keep smoking so why measure?

Brisket, I like large full briskets which require running the smoker a bit warmer to get them done. I want them fully cooked in 12 hours or so. I find if it takes longer they get drier so I adjust temp based on the size of the meat to shoot for the same finish time. If doing 14-15 on briskets that means 275 give or take in my smoker, but machines vary. No foil on briskets if I can time it right. Just a bit of rest, slice and serve if you can.

Chvymn99, Horkn and TurboDiesel like this.
  18. Matt Fine

Matt Fine

Pictures before I get in trouble...
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Chvymn99, savemoney, papadave and 3 others like this.
  19. Horkn

Horkn

I started using the foil technique for my ribs, and have had no reason to switch from that method. I switched about 5 or so years ago. Perfect ribs every time.

TurboDiesel likes this.
  20. Horkn

Horkn