In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Smoke Upgrade

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by ReelFaster, May 14, 2024.

1. 0rion

0rion

When I used a Texas side box type smoker I made baffle plates with 4" wide 1/4" plate. Laid them out and ran smoker. Moved a thermometer around on the grate and opened or closed the gaps between the plates until I had even heat up and down the smoker.....or as even as I could get them which was just a few degree difference from one end to the other.

metalcuttr and JD Guy like this.
  2. 0rion

0rion

This is what I use now and love it. The design made a lot of sense to me as far as the efficiency. I did gasket all the doors but it does a good job. Mine is probably getting close to 10 years old and still looks almost new. I've never even had to replace the fire grate in it but I keep in indoors and put a pop up over it if it's raining so it's never been wet.
    Side note....I bought mine clearanced at Lowes or somewhere for $75. Look at the prices now. Unreal what's happened to smoker prices after people started paying $1000-1500 for pellet smokers. Screenshot_20240516-091550.png

metalcuttr and ReelFaster like this.
  3. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Watching a video on the Old Country G2 and noticed the throat on this new smoker. Pretty small and actually think the smoker I am looking at might have a slightly larger opening not by much. It might be enough to put that hesitation to rest.

upload_2024-5-16_10-56-23.png

JD Guy, Eckie and metalcuttr like this.