In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Sitting back and contemplating what pellets will sell for this year...

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by corncob, Aug 3, 2022.

1. bogieb

bogieb

My P61a didn't like the Matras either. I was not happy that a totally clean stove (and pipes) became all gunked up and was difficult to clean after running just 10 bags. I too had to mix them with a lesser pellet to avoid that issue (to an extent) for the other 10 bags. I'm sure it was because of the circumstances that my stove runs under.

Sorry your stove wasn't happy - not what you want to experience when you've heard such great things from others.

2. Tullytown

Tullytown

prob posted this before but funneling is my biggest problem with the matras. pellets stick to the sides after past half way capacity.
    my fix is to not let the hopper get much past half empty.
    I just throw another bag on top and the weight keeps the pellets moving..
    tried all the products to wax or slick the side walls and nothing seems to work.

Orson_Yancey and bogieb like this.
  3. DobieMom

DobieMom

East Coast - Maryland specifically, we are seeing those $300+ a ton prices from big box stores. Premium? That's a joke...we get Lignetics, O'Malley, Wood Pellet Inc., etc.
    Since my old body is wearing out and I'd have to hire someone to tote pellets in/out for me I did some math. With my current 2 ton purchase of $525 plus the monthly electric usage of approximately $65 a month during the cold/colder months using 6 months to calculate (525+390=915÷6=150). I'm considering investing approximately $4,000 and getting a ductless heat/ac unit installed. That 2 ton purchase will likely never be seen again, no more putting window ac units in/out for summer, not paying for help getting pellets in...I figure it's worth it the way inflation is tearing us up.
    I'll likely still keep the pellet stove because I love it and the ambience and if it gets too cold it will be a better heat source but I won't have to buy tons of pellets.

bogieb, Softwood and ttdberg like this.
  4. bogieb

bogieb

If you can get a ductless installed for $4k, that is a deal. I put in a 24k system (with a main 15k head for the living room and a 12k head for my office) June 2021 to replace the window and portable A/C's I was using. Those AC's had been fine when I worked outside the house, but WFH, comfort became more a priority. The system cost me a little over $6k at the time. My system is technically larger than is needed, but I have a lot of electronics going in the room I use for an office, and there is 40' of house that gets the full west sun during summer, so I requested an oversize. The house is much more controlled for a reasonable temp in the summer, and the electricity costs are less - even with higher energy costs.

And planning ahead for getting older, I'll use the mini split more to heat than pellets. And options, its always good to have options for heat in case one system breaks down, there is a backup.

Oh, and go check out the Heat Pump Thread

DobieMom likes this.
  5. DobieMom

DobieMom

Thank you SO much for linking me to that thread. Makes my decision that much more of a no brainer huh? :)
    Happy to see those with the ductless set ups are happy with them, see increased comfort and less expense.
    My quote was on an 18K Panasonic with 10 yr warranty on unit, parts AND labor. My house is about 860 sq ft built in 1989. Summer I usually run a 6K in just the bedroom and if terribly hot/humid I'll run the 8K in the kitchen window. Having a kid in a fur coat forces me to run units when I'd probably just sit in front of a fan until my breathing gets the best of me :loco: :crazy:

6. Skier76

Skier76

I was at the South Southington Home Depot tonight and took a quick drive back by the garden center to check out their pellet supply. They had a good 50-60 skids back there. Based on what I’ve seen there and in Wallingford, the local Big Box stores are well supplied.

7. Orson_Yancey

Orson_Yancey

In New England, heating oil has dipped below $4.00 per gallon.

jtakeman and bogieb like this.
  8. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

Wow. With this crazy weather, with days in the low 40's, if it's sunny out I don't need the heat on till after dark. I'd bet pellets sales have become real slow.

Orson_Yancey likes this.
  9. bogieb

bogieb

Well, PARTS of New England. Not my little corner. And it also depends on how much you buy. The propane prices shown below is interesting since I just checked my supplier and it would cost me $4.49/gal. Of course I use little propane so they charge me more than a customer that has to fill up a 500/gal tank every month.

Home Heating Fuel Prices 1-4-2023.jpg

jtakeman and Orson_Yancey like this.