In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Should I replace my Whitfield Advantage II Insert

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by MartyD, Feb 20, 2018.

1. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I like the old stuff that I know (yours being your Whitfield but but with new chimney pipe), hoping Snowy Rivers might chime in. That said, I almost went for a P61 before I bought the Drolet... I heard Harmans are rock stars, as well as there I hear the customer support for them is good, and there are a lot who own them here at FHC willing to lend an ear/helping hand. Maybe your ready for an update for the Harman which is a trusted brand?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    ivanhoe, CleanFire and PelletHound like this.
  2. MartyD

MartyD

I get what you mean by "liking the old stuff". The Whitfield has been so reliable - if I thought I could get another ~5 years out of it, I wouldn't consider a new pellet stove. The harman has more electric components which means more to break. Tough decision.

ivanhoe, wildwest and CleanFire like this.
  3. CleanFire

CleanFire

Greetings MartyD , welcome to the forum. :handshake:

Assuming the issue back in Dec. '17 was not an actual 'fire', but due to the cracked silicone sealant letting smoke into the living space @ startup w/ hot embers exiting the unsealed joint, and you have had no further issues since re-sealing the pipe / correcting the venting failure.. I'd call it fixed.

That said: 23 yrs. is a long life for any appliance - you must take excellent care of your stove. :yes:

You stated above a quote of $5,200 for a Harman 52I - if it is in-fact the latest model (touch screen), and the price quote includes removal of old stove, installation & setup of new, all venting/caps required, and any permits/inspections needed for code compliance:

given that the MSRP on the Accentra 52-i-TCi stove is $4,500, it seems like an excellent price to me.

The SS liner kit alone, (depending on length / diameter) usually runs from $300 - $500, without installation.

--

Only you can decide if the Whitfield insert is nearing it's end of life, the cost savings you realize burning pellets vs. (?) during the winter months, if you will be @ the residence (nn) years from now / the savings will achieve a payoff of the stove, etc.

but if you're asking if the quote is a good deal, I say Yes - just by going off the MSRP on the stove from the Harman site.

All things being equal, if I was in the market for a new/replacement stove here (standalone or insert) - Harman would be at the top of the list here.

Hope this helps,

Regards,
    Rob

4. ivanhoe

ivanhoe

If the money has been put aside for a new stove then by all means, go for it and enjoy. Trying to make the other last another five years which might be ten by the time you get to it. You'll make the move eventually but much sooner.

PelletHound, CleanFire and wildwest like this.