In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

sewing machine? tarps, pants

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Camber, May 16, 2020.

1. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

IMHO, those are priceless!! Metal vs plastic. They can be maintained, serviced, repaired. I gave away my 70's one when I bought a new plastic Singer. I regret it. But I'd be interested what Woodwidow and Midwinter think.

Similar if not the same protections as a credit card, it's all good :yes:
    Truth!

2. Midwinter

Midwinter

I'm not an expert sewer like Woodwidow is. I'm capable of curtains, and masks, simple stuff.
    I've got 2 Singers, my mom's machine which is older but plastic, and a newer one I bought off a co-worker in the 90's ( not so new anymore...)

3. Camber

Camber

online banking says pending. so it wont go through until Monday. I will head there Monday morning to stop payment or kill my account. I paid with business account card anyway. I typed in organd website reviews, and actually found one site that does reviews, however it was also a scam in favor of them. crazy stuff in the computer world. cant even get your paws on the bad guys. China is a long ways away. I will let you know monday after I contact the bank. This is frustrating stuff sometimes. I guess it has to be a store with an actual brick and mortar location sometimes.

4. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    My first sewing machine I learned on was a treadle Singer. For Graduation, my parents bought me a portable (sort of - it was heavy) electric Singer. When I got my new electronic White in 1978, I kept the old Singer to do tent trailer canvas work, sail covers and sails. My youngest daughter took it with her when she left home. Many years later, it was given to a friend of hers but the timing was having problems. I think it had done too heavy a work for it.

My "new" 1978 electronic White gave up the ghost a year ago and now I am learning to use a Janome. A lot of good features but I do end up fighting with static because of so much plastic. Getting good quality thread really makes a difference.

Sorry to hear about the scam. That machine is worth about $800 to $900 in Canada.

5. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

I just use standard thread but run two spools at the same time so you are using two strands at the same time. When you wind the bobbin, use two strands of regular thread and wind them together on the bobbin. You end up stitching with four strands of thread. Two on the top and two in the bobbin.

6. Camber

Camber

20200516_154133.jpg This what we just got. it is a model 96 kenmore with a stand. zig zag machine made in late 60s. only thing it doesn,t have is the cams that select different patterns. looks like it will do double thread. She wouldn't take any money for it. Ill have to order cams from somewhere, and a user manual. She said it was tough. had to haul it out of her kitchen on this wooden stand. Nice lady. maybe I can do some work. took pictures before I took it out of the house. She called it a model 1750 96.

This thing weighs about 40 lbs.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  7. Camber

Camber

20200516_154119.jpg This is the model number on bottom of machine. the stand opens from the wooden frame on a spring. She told me to pop it out of the fancy table to do pant legs if I do not want to rip the seams.

8. Camber

Camber

That certainly sounds strong. Do I need to use a certain size needle for running double strands from the bobbin and the top?

9. Screwloose

Screwloose

I was just being an azz. I use leather needles in mine for tarps an covers.

10. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:emb:

Sorry :) Sometimes I can be slow on the pick up......

11. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

12. Camber

Camber

13. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Awesome. I didn't know if you would be able to find anything for it or not. Even if it only straight stitched, it would work well for what you want to do with it.

14. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Most needles will accept two strands of thread. wildwest's suggestion of a needle threader is a great idea.

15. Camber

Camber

Thanks again. I tore it down to clean it as it had been sitting in a garden shed for several years. The bobbin wheel was completely shot, but was able to find a replacement for about two dollars. manual was ten bucks. all the cam stitch patterns were twelve dollars. So pretty happy to have the machine ready for under 25. I did find out it accepts two strands, and also found out how to wind the bobbin with two strands of thread. very heavy when weighed. almost fourty pounds of steel. doesnt move at all when presser foot engaged. I think in the end it will serve us better than the new singer machine would have for a tenth of the price. The stand is actually a nice piece of hardware, and matches my wifes furniture.

edit. she had a neighbor heft it into the house late winter. she was going to give it to the local thrift shop but the virus hit instead. lucky deal

16. Camber

Camber

Turns out those cam pattern wheels are very common on ebay. the rest of the stuff was on sewing machine parts website. easier to find stuff than most auto repair websites.

17. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

I think you have been blessed. Good luck with all your projects you plan to do with it. If you need any suggestions or advice, PM me and I will try to help. Heavy Duty sewing needs to be creative at times.

18. Camber

Camber

Thank You very much. I am sure I will need advice. sorely.

19. Meche_03

Meche_03

Sorry to hear about the online scam. I'm 41 and still patch jeans. My grand mother used to be able to rip the seam, patch, and resew the seam in just a few minutes. It takes me longer.

My wife has a Bernina brand sewing machine. It's amazing what it can do. I patch up double knee and regular jeans. Do my 2 boys jeans too.

I was told to buy new jeans last month. I got to the point I was patching the patches. Below will be the next to go. IMG_20200517_185131300.jpg

20. Camber

Camber

i like it Meche_03. I have been going through boxes of work pants. A lot of them are worn at mid thigh on the front. My tool bags really wear them out. I may end up getting a machine for my daughter. There is a quilting class workshop here in town I guess. She has the bug from helping me look certain things up. I will see if she sticks with it before maybe buying her a some kind of fancier quilting machine. I have lots of heavy duty truck tarps that just need some repairs. Lots of webbing from lumber packages that have should up on jobs. I would like to use them around the edges, then using a grommet stomper to customize them for wood piles, machines, ect, ect.

Looking through books from the last few years, I see we spend around 240 bucks a month on average on work clothes. Lots of vests to repair too. I can almost buy a little saw mill with the money I have to write off on clothes. That in itself is motivating enough to do some learning:D

Eric VW likes this.