In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Selling by the Truckload or Cord? or Fraction of the Cord?

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by WVoutdoorsman, Jan 21, 2020.

1. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

My thought also.

2. WVoutdoorsman

WVoutdoorsman

It seems that having ads selling by the fraction of the cord help. Those have been the ones selling the last few weeks. Thanks. Its time to build some more 1/3 cord racks now.

3. farmer steve

farmer steve

I looked back through but didn't see it . What length are you cutting to put in your 8x4 racks? I cut 16" to put in my 4x8 racks to get a 1/3 of a cord. I just use T posts and stack on pallets or boards.

4. ole

ole

I have sold firewood off and on for about ten years. I only sell it one way. I call it an Ole row. I don’t call it anything else. I do not deliver so my customers come to my shed with their truck or trailer and see what they are buying. I help them load it. An Ole row is 8 feet long and 4 feet high all cut to 16 inches. There is no confusion or deceit or dishonesty when they back into the shed and see dozens of Ole rows with their eyes.

I have had many customers and they always come back for more the next year.

In the Pines and farmer steve like this.
  5. WVoutdoorsman

WVoutdoorsman

I'm not real precise on my cuts but they are mostly around 16" with a 2" margin for error in either direction. I get a few repeat customers ( this is my second year selling and third year processing). Most who don't repeat tell me they have found someone cheaper and I don't blame them. My prices are high (compared to other sellers in my area), but, as you all know there's a lot of work involved in this.

6. farmer steve

farmer steve

I always think of this when someone tells me they can get it cheaper and think of it again when someone comes back to buy wood and tells me they got some elsewhere but it didn't burn as good as mine.
    upload_2020-2-14_5-24-5.jpeg

7. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Full cord in Maine "loose thrown" = 180 cu ft. It's what most use; it is approximate and honest.
    Figure the fraction from that based on your truck bed or trailer dimensions.

In the Pines likes this.