In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Selling by the Truckload or Cord? or Fraction of the Cord?

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by WVoutdoorsman, Jan 21, 2020.

1. WVoutdoorsman

WVoutdoorsman

Hello, I am a new member to this site. I am a full time college student who cuts and sells a little bit of seasoned firewood, nothing like the guys on here. I currently sell by the truckload out of a 95 Toyota pickup (my truck) and a Toyota tundra. I sell about 1 load a week in the winter. The question is would I be better off selling by the cord or fraction thereof or by the truckload. 90 percent of my customers never ask how much of a cord a load is so it may not matter. Also I researched my competition in my area and I am by far the most expensive. I can not match their prices or I would be losing money. However I would guess that they are selling green wood. Any tips on sales would be helpful. If I could sell 2 loads a week I would be happy.

Thanks!

2. jrider

jrider

You have to be able to gauge your market. Many people want to know cord amount but some don't even know how big a so called "chord" of wood is. I would say if you can show them a picture of what they are getting and they are happy with the price then all is fair. Some states have rules about wood being sold in cords or fractions of cords but there's usually nobody from the government cracking down on you.

3. Midwinter

Midwinter

Measure what a typical truckload is in cord dimension, and if anyone asks, you've got an answer ready. Providing dry wood is your selling point! People buying by the truckload are most likely going to burn it right away.

4. WVoutdoorsman

WVoutdoorsman

Thanks for the help! I have a rough estimate of what the percentage of a cord is in a truckload. I always use pictures for selling so the customer gets a good idea of what they are getting. I believe the market is flooded here with the mild winter so far, especially with sellers from facebook marketplace mainly. They sell very cheap that's for sure.

5. billb3

billb3

Sell it both ways and see if you get more takers.
    Run 2 ads. One for truckloads, another for cord fractions.

6. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

As jrider said many places have laws on how wood is sold. Here it can only be sold by the cord or fractions of, or bundled. You must have provide a reciept with price, quantity, and type of wood that comprises at least 80% of the volume. That's on top of having a vendor's license. But at your volume I doubt "the man" will bother you.
    Just remember a cord is 128 cubic ft. of tightly stacked split wood. And if its thrown in add 30% to the volume. So a 5×8 truck bed stacked neatly 1ft high is a hair under 1/3 of a cord (face cord). Loosely tossed in 1/3 of a cord would be roughly 16in high in the same bed.

7. WVoutdoorsman

WVoutdoorsman

Thanks! I may just have to try an ad selling by the cord and facecord. Maybe run a special to sell whatever I have in my homemade facecord rack 8'x4'x 1 row of wood.

8. farmer steve

farmer steve

View attachment 243281
    What length do you cut? For me 16" lengths sell better than say 20". We are not allowed to use the term facecord here in PA for selling wood. We cannot sell wood by the "truckload". Not much enforcement by the wood police unless there is a complaint. I sell most of my wood in 1/4 cord bins (customer hauls) and it sells like hotcakes.
    20160202_150058_resized.jpg

9. WVoutdoorsman

WVoutdoorsman

I try to cut all mine 16-18". I don't think there are any wood regulation laws here. That would be a good way to advertise by a road like that. I generally do delivery only because I live in the middle of nowhere and delivery seems to be a bit simpler for me. I also worry about word getting around where my wood stash is and people trying to get to it while I wasn't around since no one would see them there.

10. Ashwatcher

Ashwatcher

Welcome WVoutdoorsman , you’re gonna like it here, I guarantee it! We like pics, dogs and beer (if you’re legal) and spending you’re money on accoutrements to enhance your addiction, er, I meant hoard. Lots of really nice and knowledgeable folks here willing to lend advice or a hand where possible. Nice to meet you :handshake:

11. WVoutdoorsman

WVoutdoorsman

Thanks Ashwatcher, I do a lot of research on here and it certainly should help just about anyone who burns word or works with it in some fashion!

In the Pines and farmer steve like this.
  12. Ashwatcher

Ashwatcher

Where in state are you located? Just south of Charleston here...

13. WVoutdoorsman

WVoutdoorsman

I'm a student in Fairmont.

14. Biddleman

Biddleman

If the wood police followed CL, they would make a killing. 90% is by truckload

15. Ashwatcher

Ashwatcher

Great school-Lil Motown...

In the Pines and WVoutdoorsman like this.
  16. farmer steve

farmer steve

DID you ever see the ad some guy :whistle: posts in York area CL every fall about it being illegal to sell firewood by the truckload or pile and for buyers to beware of unseasoned wood? :eek:

In the Pines, Midwinter and Biddleman like this.
  17. Biddleman

Biddleman

I've seen that ad once or twice. Figure some guy trying to get some business:emb:

18. Marshel54

Marshel54

I believe it was said before. In Ohio the only legal measurement is cords or fractions. Never heard of it being enforced for non-commercial sellers. To me a truck load would work better. I know everyone here knows how big a cord is. Go to your grocery store and ask people how big a cord is? Most wouldn't have clue. Ask them how big a F150 is and they can relate.
    But the law is the law.

Recently went to VA via Charleston. Would I have seen your place from I64? I was looking up the hollows for wood stacks.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  19. Ashwatcher

Ashwatcher

No sir-I live 20 min south of Charleston off Rt 119, a 4 lane highway that is known as Corridor G...runs from Charleston to Pikeville KY-And I’m not in a hollow but have many handy...Nice to be thought of though and hope you and all are well-Hoard on my friend!

20. blacktail

blacktail

Why not list it as a truck load and give the cord measurement?