In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Seeing Red...MAPLE!

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Sep 17, 2019.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Went back this afternoon to cut the second tree. Used the 261 for the first time. My 1.5 litre bottle of gas was unfilled yesterday so i only had enough for 1/3 tank gas in 261. I seldom take the big can of gas and oil with me as a cutting session is rarely over four tank fulls. Didnt feel like going back home for more. Ran out and had to load the full length logs. Did cut up the big stump. Fiskars had a rough time splitting it and i loaded the big chunk last after many whacks and it wouldnt split. IMG_0906.JPG IMG_0907.JPG IMG_0904.JPG
    I started cutting and an elderly gentleman next door came out to check his mail. I walked over to inquire about his mound of logs. He didnt want them. I can park, cut and load in his driveway. Turns out he worked for my landlord years back. IMG_0905.JPG
    I was sure to move my makeshift sign to his pile. Guess where im cutting tomorrow? Really seeing RED now!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  2. Ctwoodtick

Ctwoodtick

I really like red maple for some reason. Probably bc it dries out fast.

3. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Went this afternoon with the 261, bucked and loaded the wood in an hour and a half. Load number three from two houses next to each other. Came home had lunch and processed some of it. IMG_0911.JPG
    Forgot why im not too crazy about red maple. Tried to half a couple with the Fiskars...several whacks and no go. If this was red oak...1 or 2 whacks and in half. Yielded a lot of cookies and nuggets but when i saw the pile i knew it would. IMG_0910.JPG
    Really starting to like the 261. Seems ideal for limbing and bucking a felled tree if you have to carry the saw a lot. I like the light weight. I think itll be my truck saw. Keep it in the cab with bar off for those "emergency" scores! Think i can make room behind the seats.

mrfancyplants and brenndatomu like this.