In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Security Cameras Systems...

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Chvymn99, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

I've got a $200 gift card to Nebraska Furniture Mart card. So I figured I'd invest in a home security camera system. So I'm looking at a couple of systems from Swann and Night Owl... Any advise from either one of these companies? I've reread the thread from Star Gazer , which she gave some advice. I'm looking at getting a 4 cameras with upgrade up to 8 cameras, just a good sound system for a low budget entry level system.

8 Channel 1080 Lite HD Analog Video Security System with 1 TB HDD | Nebraska Furniture Mart

4 Channel Video Security w/ DVR and 4 Wired Cameras | Nebraska Furniture Mart

8 Channel 720p Digital Video Recorder with 4 x PRO-T845 Cameras | Nebraska Furniture Mart

DVR4-4350 4 Channel 720p Digital Video Recorder with 4 x PRO-T845 Cameras | Nebraska Furniture Mart

Compact Security System - 8 Channel Digital Video Recorder & 4 Cameras | Nebraska Furniture Mart

2. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

I've been interested in this for a while. We live way back off the road and somone could have the run of the place when we aren't home. I'd like to be able to see what's going on here while we are at work. I think just having them may prevent shenanigans.

3. Thor

Thor

We don't have 1,but this works for us.
    0616161639-1.jpg

metalcuttr, Ron T, JoeyD and 8 others like this.
  4. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Yeah, I know you were posted on that thread. Was hoping that maybe you had gotten one and could give some insight.

5. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

We have a fun lux setup, but the internet viewing is a little wonky....
    Hope ya don't have to drive to Nebraska.....:whistle::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:
    :loco: :crazy:
    :picard:

6. RCBS

RCBS

These Nest cameras have caught my attention. They shine when you add the monthly subscription. Phone alerts, facial recognition, 30 day continuous video storage, talk & listen feature, etc. My buddy has a Swann system and a couple of cameras already seem to be failing after two seasons outside. I believe he has 8 cameras total on his. Not a bad system, but the Nest connectivity is more attractive to me. What good does it do to watch the video highlights of someone robbing me after the fact? The Nest system lets you know the moment someone appears and allows you to inform them via speaker that the police will be along shortly.

Meet the Nest Cam family.

7. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Might be a good addition. I really like the idea of the interactive units though. But NFM doesn't have the outdoor version that I'd want.

metalcuttr, Eric VW and Jack Straw like this.
  8. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:... but if I did, it would at least be a short drive....:p

9. JimBear

JimBear

So, I will revive this thread. My buddy is wanting to put one at his driveway entrance & see it in his house at about 400’ away & use wi-fi.

He says all he can find are 300’ range & you lose 50’ per wall you have to go thru.

I just figured you could do line of sight with a repeater module some where in between ?

I haven’t really researched these but thought maybe you folks could offer up some thoughts.

metalcuttr and Eric VW like this.
  10. HDRock

HDRock

That would be a long reach I have had one of my Eufy battery cameras working out back 75 feet and the base unit going through two walls.
    If you put the base unit in a window up high line of sight to the camera never know, I have different kinds of cameras but never tried any further

metalcuttr and JimBear like this.
  11. wood and coal burner

wood and coal burner

400 feet is about the limit for WIFI repeaters and then the remote device will have to be powered. If it is line of sight it will work better. Some of the camera's can also have SD chips installed for local storage so even if it is too far from the network or the NVR it will still record video. This is at least a deterant but will only give you historical data and not real time. Batteries work but line or POE is the best but that will require a CAT 5E or CAT 6 cable and a POE switch or injector. Data cable is spec at 100 meters but I have seen it pushed a little more. There is also extended distance data cable too.
    I rented a trencher a few years ago and ran conduit and pipe for water, electric, and network for my garage. Installed a WIFI repeater and a POE switch so I could have internet access and also camera's. I know the EnGenius devices are expensive but I have seen them go a few miles to give network connectivity. Issue here would still be power at the remote end. Maybe a small solar panel and inverter would work here too.
    Sorry if I am just babbling here.

metalcuttr likes this.
  12. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

Is a game camera with cell service an option for him? I'm considering on for the back of our property where a power line enters and idiots think its an off-road super highway despite the big locked gate, no trespassing signs, placed by the power company, and fence. They tried to push through the gate last fall with a truck. Unsuccessfully but caused damage to it and the fence we had to repair. If we could only have the wild west back for a few years I'd take care of the problem the old fashioned way...

13. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Is it wooded...no line of site?
    I'd think with your gear, and experience that issue could be dealt with "remotely"...
    "Sum B Bubba, I jus dunt git it...truck was cumplitely fine 'til I pooshed on that fince a lil, n now I gots a 1" ho in muh radidiator"
    :whistle: :D

14. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

Believe me, that's exactly how id like to handle it.

Chvymn99 and brenndatomu like this.