In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Scope, mounts and...what else?

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by FatBoy85, May 1, 2020.

1. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

You should be good, as long as the scope clears when mounted. Are those rings true "tip-offs"? Can you post a pick of the rings and their listed height?

2. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

Looks like you got it, bud!!

3. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I will do that soon. I actually tried to get them to mount but I must be missing something here. The side of the mounts fit on either side of the grooves but not both at the same time. Missing some tensioner/screw work step here? I actually cannot remember what my Other rifle had in comparison.

4. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Other mount looks the same way. It came with those plates that look like a wide U angled out ends with a serrated edge on one side and a smooth one on the other. Hole in middle.

Attached Files:

5. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Ok I tried getting this figured out a bit on my own. Watched some videos, noticed a couple things: one I saw that other mounts were already completed with the groove clamp of the mount whereas mine needs to be manually installed. Kind of a duh but learning. Two: I require a punch. The iron sights are dove tailed as well so need to take that out before mounting the scope. I had everything looking good on the gun then the scope was up too high.

Here’s my realization: suppose I failed to take off the iron sight on my previous rifle and the scope was set too high because it wasn’t seated snug on the mounts due to it resting on the aperture?:picard::headbang::doh:

Now that we’re done with the idiot stage. One last question, is it recommended that I get a gun rest or gun sand bags for this kind of work? One of the videos showed a level being used to stay true somewhat while he was finalizing the mounts along with the gun rest so things seemed easier to work with of course.

6. In the Pines

In the Pines

Some ppl buy high scope mounts so they can leave the iron sights on. but you definitely don't want the scope mounts sitting on the iron sight.

7. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

A rifle length gun vise will help if you're going to keep working on your own guns. There are a few out there. If it can clamp the butt stock vs. just providing a cradle, that's a better feature.

8. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

Caldwell and Tipton both make some nice gun vises/maintenance stands.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

amateur cutter and Beetle-Kill like this.
  9. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

I have a Tipton, it suites me well. A couple of MTM's mostly for the range. Tipton is the better unit but Caldwell has good stuff also.

amateur cutter, FatBoy85 and Ronaldo like this.
  10. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I’m going to have to buy some higher set mounts, the clearance for the end of the scope is quite low and too close to the barrel. I’ll post when I’ve found what is needed.

amateur cutter and In the Pines like this.
  11. In the Pines

In the Pines

not recommending these, I've never used these, they might be good. the link is more of just an idea of what to look for.

amateur cutter and FatBoy85 like this.
  12. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

They’ve got some Leupold ones that might fit, a little expensive but I think
    I’m getting the gist of what to look for since it’s just part of the learning curve. Some things I was noticing was the scope being mounted looked ok but just too close to the barrel and I can’t put the covers back on the scope. Will take it all off and redo. I think I’m gonna stick with the groove mounts, but getting the scope alignment, reticle (South to North to the barrel) was iffy. A level is required or will changing the scope MOA help with the more finer details?

amateur cutter likes this.
  13. In the Pines

In the Pines

I'll defer those questions to the more knowledgeable folks here. I've heard of ppl putting a level on the scope though I've never done it yet.

amateur cutter and FatBoy85 like this.
  14. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

What are your .22’s if you don’t mind me asking?

amateur cutter and In the Pines like this.
  15. In the Pines

In the Pines

The only .22 I have is a pellet rifle, it's a Nitro piston benjamin. Works well enough for dispatching small nuisances and cheap to keep my aim small.

16. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

My dad has a box down in his basement, its the same label but not a rifle. Family pellet gun. I’m interested in seeing what the family firearms were and hope to use them.

17. In the Pines

In the Pines

Benjamin Trail Nitro Piston 2 22 Cal Pellet Air Rifle Scope
    thats what I have. My brother keeps the family firearms, it's been a while since I messed with them, told him to bring them over so we can make sure they still work lol

FatBoy85 and amateur cutter like this.
  18. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

Actually leveling the reticle is not necessary for shorter ranges. You want it as close as possible if for no other reason than to simply have it mounted well and I believe in doing things right and proper. Scope leveling really came in to popularity with long range shooting where a reticle that is not level will begin to affect your bullet impact if you are using the vertical adjustment for ranging, etc.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

FatBoy85 and amateur cutter like this.
  19. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

It’s taken me a some frustration and some time to cool down on this issue because I’m getting less help from the stores, employees are spread thin. Again these are Weaver brand Quad-Lock (hex nut) rings. I had seated the entire thing but the issue is that the Front scope Dust cover becomes so snug when I have tightened down the straps, can’t get the cover off. BFBF84D1-9CE0-4CF7-87FC-047822B0422C.jpeg A4BCC0FC-936C-4AB2-82E2-AA9D7D32709F.jpeg
    That being said, is it worth keeping the cover off? Find a different cover Or omit it altogether? I cannot seem to find higher set mounts and every time I have asked people do I have the right mounts, No experts exist. I’m literally looking at mere millimeters if I could have it lift up in the front.

metalcuttr likes this.
  20. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Can you abrade the cover slightly where it binds to relieve the pinch?

FatBoy85 likes this.