In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Saw Handle Ideas

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by chbryson, Apr 16, 2019.

1. chbryson

chbryson

In the corner of my warehouse building I found an old about 6' cross cut saw blade but no handles next to an old furnace no longer in use. I am wanting to make this into a wall hanger for my camp, leaving the rust and patina on the blade but do something with the handles.

Any suggestions on how to make a couple handles to put on this thing? The mount is similar to the picture attached.

I am thinking about making "1/2" handles and then just run a bolt though the holes and handles and I will put a nut to tighten them against the wall and you won't see them on the "ugly" side of the handle.

Another idea is to use a couple of old wooden handled screw drivers and weld some solid stock on to the screwdriver at the upper and lower hole locations and then have a machine screw through the one in the center to draw it tight to the blade, again this would be on the bad side of the blade and only the old straight shaft of the screwdrivers would be seen on the good side?

Any suggestions would be welcome. If I make the handles, I am planning some kind of pretty wood, burly walnut or cherry or I have some spalted poplar I made some pistol grips from also.

Attached Files:

2. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

i see cross cut saw handles in antique stores all the time if you wanna go that route

Wisconsin Woody likes this.
  3. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

4. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

oops blank post. chbryson how about some eastern red cedar. Mix the red and white in the handle piece? Same wood used in cedar closets

Stlshrk and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  5. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Using the “edit” button helps with that...:salute:

6. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

Hammer handles, burnt with a torch to enhance grain lines, polyurethaned. Before doing all the work on the hammer handles, cut off the portion that goes in the hammer head, then using a bandsaw/coping saw/handsaw, cut a groove down the middle for the handle to fit on both sides, then drill then do the first sentence. Quick, cheap, easy, and could be used/tried out.

Stlshrk, chbryson and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  7. unclefess

unclefess Guest

maybe you could antique these ,or at least copy them

8. chbryson

chbryson

I like cedar but this saw will be hanging in pine log cabin, the cedar will be too close in color to the interior woods. I am leaning towards either a darker wood (walnut etc.) or nearly a bleach white poplar with the black spalting streaks.