I grabbed two down Sugar Maples, one was a decent sized branch. The first three pics are from the first small Sugar Maple. We still have some green ferns.
I'm finding most of the downed Maple are too punky to mess with, so I've been taking the bad leaners. I keep checking the down stuff though.....hoping.
I like how far apart the trees in your wood lot are. I spent all morning wrestling with a decent sized Soft Maple that was hung up.
Sugar maple does grow around us, but just not on the 115 on which I cut. Maybe some day I'll get to try some.
The ferns down here actually green up this time of year with the tree canopy gone. That maple on the other hand would be spalted and termite ridden within a year
But your border is the Gulf of Mexico and Zaps is Canada! Ferns up here die off in the fall and for sure they don't like to freeze...normally.
I've got one I'm going to buck tomorrow laid across a trail I'm working on. Had to get the blackjack oak cleaned up first - it lasts about as long as maple. I was questioning my sanity C/S/S that oak today it was soaking wet inside dead standing for a year+ and sapwood just starting to get punky, and twisted knarly.
Coming out of the log yard the other day along the drive was a pussy willow bush all furred out ! Seen it before a few times in the winter but not very often.
I'll be checking on a downed Maple (Sugar I hope) starting next week, if it's good I'll get it. It's a hike up the hill but it's worth it.