In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Savage 340C in .30-.30

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by Beetle-Kill, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

Anyone have one? It's a bolt carbine in .30-.30. Handles like a Rem. 600, quick and light.
    If anyone has one, I'd like to hear your thoughts on casing web expansion.
    Just got done polishing the chamber on the lathe, it was pretty rough.
    Anyone run across one of these? Thanks, JB

2. jo191145

jo191145

I hope you didn't polish the chamber too much. Highly polished chambers increase bolt thrust and your 340 probably doesn't need any increased pressure on the bolt. I have a similar in 25-20. Never had one in 30-30 so I'm not sure of any design changes between the two. Very lightweight and handy but they are far from strong actions.
    What problem are you seeing with web expansion? The ol thutty thutty is not normally known for killing brass.

Beetle-Kill likes this.
  3. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

Chamber had some pitting, made extraction difficult so I hit it with some #600. Wasn't going to try to give it a mirror finish with that clunky trigger group spinning around.
    The web expansion seems to happen frequently with Hornady Leverevolution, but not so much with Rem.ammo.
    I'm heading to the range, if it extracts with no issues my job is done.

jo191145 likes this.
  4. bear_hunter

bear_hunter

I have one and what little I've shot it I haven't had any problems. But I've just shot 170gr core-lokts through it.

Beetle-Kill likes this.
  5. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

Whew!! No issues. Owner will pick it up tomorrow and be able to hunt late, late season with it.
    I figure a case of beer ought to cover the work, for him. Vietnam Vet, multiple health issues, etc., the beer equates to my hard costs, my time is not an issue in this case.
    I shot both types of ammo, the R&P must have a thicker web, no deformation. The Hornady was slight but not horrible. No rings on either so I think he's good to go for a while.

jo191145 likes this.