In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Sales still above last year

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by EODDiver, Feb 25, 2023.

1. Zack323

Zack323

For the private land you cut on, do you pay a fee to the land owner? Looks like you've been hustling!

brenndatomu and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  2. EODDiver

EODDiver

No fee. Bagged my 90th load on his property today. He has a big network of trails on his property that he likes ATVing on and his family is big into deer hunting. So my cutting has kept his property open and in top condition. I hauled away 155 loads from his neighbors before starting his property. Both recommended me to another property owner who had it logged. Have cut 65 loads from it and still B7028F01-9571-4C73-96C2-DF3123C5C916_1_201_a.jpeg bounce back and forth to it when I can. Not to mention between my Dad and I, we have about 300 acres of timber property. Have cut hundreds of loads from ours over the last five years. I have had a few calls from land owners wanting me to pay them to cut on their land. I want to laugh at them, but I am a polite person. I am just a guy with 3 chainsaws, a splitter, and a beast of a diesel truck. I am also way behind in my splitting. But not a bad problem to have. Have about 70 cords of inventory at the moment: Cherry, Hickory, Sugar Maple, Red and White Oak.
    EE01C453-2B5D-4CA0-95BB-61FB05A70520_1_201_a.jpeg

Dok440, Rich L, brenndatomu and 3 others like this.
  3. EODDiver

EODDiver

My wife is visiting family for two weeks. Have to wait until she gets home to get the big dudes onto the splitter.

brenndatomu, T.Jeff Veal and Chvymn99 like this.
  4. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Have you ever thought about making a ramp to get the big rounds on the splitter? We had 2 ramp boards for loading the ATV/Lawn mower before we got a trailer. Made support legs for the splitter table and a short leg for the middle of the ramps. We have rolled up and split 30" oak rounds on them... 1201211243.jpg 1202210851.jpg

5. jrider

jrider

I'd say it is time for a commercial style log splitter with a log lift. You will wonder why it took you so long to get one once you have it.

6. EODDiver

EODDiver

A lift sure would be nice, but the bottom line is I have to lift the rounds into my truck when cutting in remote and hard to get to places. My tailgate is probably 18" or so higher than my splitter, so if I can get it into my truck, I can get onto the splitter even easier. I have used long and wide lumber to road big rounds up when cutting on my property. My maul and sledging and wedging usually allows me to bust most rounds in half it required.

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  7. EODDiver

EODDiver

703251E5-842C-4768-B63F-7397CA83452F_1_201_a.jpeg Rained a lot yesterday and very soupy where I cut. So went early this morning to buy a load of hickory. Found half a dozen Ash pieces in the load. The processor operator must not know his Ash from a hole in the ground. Sure it was just a mistaken identity when loading the live deck.

8. EODDiver

EODDiver

Even at the top of my sides is 1&1/4 ricks/facecords. So about 1&1/3 FCs a load. Sell a FC for $280 in the Winter months. You are looking at $375+ of Nashville firewood. Of course I have to re-split a lot of it and stack and wait 9 months before selling. I can easily pickup and get 2 loads split and stacked in an eight hour day. However, it is boring and not very satisfying work just stuffing my truck full of wood. I prefer to cut a load a day and get the satisfaction of knowing what I accomplished was all me. I love running my chainsaws and figuring out how to cut downed trees safely without getting pinched.

WinonaRail and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  9. EODDiver

EODDiver

Why do I have all my wood along my entrance gravel road? Well, the sun bakes this area all day long and the wind funnels down it. Not to mention it is about the only flat terrain on my property.

10. EODDiver

EODDiver

I just noticed I needed the support you built into the middle of the ramp.

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  11. EODDiver

EODDiver

Bagged #91&92 today. Awesome white oak that split on the first swing every time. EE7D9320-8280-48B5-9CFD-6CF2FB2AD1C5.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 24, 2023
  12. EODDiver

EODDiver

Was 91 degrees this afternoon while loading my truck with the second load of the day. I did have a few beers on ice with me so not that bad. Was my sixtieth today, so went a little wild with the cutting and hauling. Two big loads of white oak that will fetch $850 early next year.

T.Jeff Veal and Jeffrey Svoboda like this.
  13. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Nice loads and a great payday.
    Happy birthday. You trying to catch up with me...lol...
    Hope it was a great day

WinonaRail likes this.
  14. EODDiver

EODDiver

Your piles are very impressive, must have mad chucking skills to get your piles that high. It is a great day any time white oak is being cut.

15. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Tommy Gate

Sandhillbilly and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  16. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

I use a ladder...lol...
    Iwas talking about age, I'll be 61 in Nov.

17. EODDiver

EODDiver

79B7CD02-59A1-423F-B56D-928275FEA459_1_201_a.jpeg Another load of smoking firewood out of the woodyard. A smoker I sold some hickory and cherry to about 18 months ago has been recommending me to all his relatives and friends. Delivered this referral today. Dropped off two bundles of cherry to him afterwards as a thank you.

18. EODDiver

EODDiver

Today's dude just purchased a custom made smoker and plans to travel around Nashville to various venues selling his products. He has permits at places such as Lowes to set his smoker and tent up. Hope he is successful; then I will be in return.

Softwood, WinonaRail and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  19. EODDiver

EODDiver

Noticed the logger I purchase firewood from had two long hickory trunks about 16” in diameter just laying in the weeds for the last six months. I have a standing deal to pay $25 a truck load for his rejected logs. He gave me a green light to cut these yesterday. Absolutely nothing wrong with them. Bagged 36 rounds out of them this morning. Will turn $25 into $400+ with four hours of work. Hickory is harder to cut and split as it ages. My chain was razor sharp along with my splitting wedge today.

20. EODDiver

EODDiver